Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

Default No playback after CPU error

Hi there, from time to time I get the good old "running out of CPU" error, which halts playback. However, when I try to restart playback again, I don't get any audio - nothing. All the meters are going up and down on screen, it looks like it's playing back, but there's no audio. It's like the connection between the computer and the m-audio box has been lost.

The only way I have found to fix this is by restarting my computer... which really isn't practical every time I get an error!! Anyone know how to "reset" the audio settings so that it will talk to the m-audio box again and play music?

Thanks heaps

Jared
MacBookPro 2.33Ghz
PT 7.3.1 M-powered
Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Default Re: No playback after CPU error

Have you updated to 7.3.1cs7?
http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=36

Sounds like you're experiencing the 'Brain Freeze Bug'
Fixed: Intermittent Graphic Freeze When Using Pro Tools (Item #82932)
Pro Tools would continue to play while the GUI was frozen, with intermittent plug-in automation and MIDI playback, and then unfreeze.

If that's not the ticket I would use the uninstall app and choose 'clean uninstall' and then reinstall 7.3, then the 7.3.1cs7 patch
Or even better go to 7.4 which is more stable in my opinion.

Post back if still having issues, also post the DAE error number you're getting. Which M-Audio model/peripheral used. Disconnect other peripherals and run just the M-Audio interface and Pro Tools and move all plug-ins out to a temporary folder. Sometimes out of date plug-ins can cause audio drop outs too.
Mac HD / library / app support / Digidesign / Plug-ins, move them all out and restart pro tools. Your session will have all its plug-ins inactive, but now you can test just Pro Tools and see if its working or not.

Plug-in Compatibility: http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...n=news_details
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Re: No playback after CPU error

which interface? This has happened with my FW410 from time to time. Try resetting the mixer, if that doesnt help a restart is in order. Also download the latest driver from m audio.