Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Not a good bit of history there
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Joel and CoolBass:
So in summary. I appreciate the ping pong match of comparisons and explanations, but when it comes down to my money and a software hostage situation, I'd rather not invest in the current program. I have no problem with anyone for whom their situation is other than mine, I respect the differences others experience in their work and could equally justify the program costs in certain scenarios.

Best.

-D
Fair enough, just want to make sure your basing your decisions on the facts, not a misunderstanding. There have been many posts here that are either speculation or just incorrect information.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
That's very sad. I really want to understand what Marianna and all at AVID think about this... It's a total failure. And a lack of respect I never saw before.

I use Protools since 1998. From audiomedia III card, to Pro tools III (16 bit), to Mix3 system, to PT HD 3, to HDX...

They said we have until the end of the year... Well. No.

I'm not gonna wait until December, when, depending of the announcement of the new HD license scheme, my hole system decrease in value. I'll wait a few more weeks. No announcement, I'll put all AVID equipment for sale. And that's a hdx system, 3 HD io, sync HD and software.

I mix on a console so can easily adapt to another software. Not that I want to. But I see no other way here.
+1

I'm ready to buy a new system and I won't wait much longer myself.

I have an HD system spec'ed out and another system with third party hardware. My decision will be based on their answer to the HD licensing.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
The vanilla guys will just leave. Why would they stay. Even guys on youtube like Graham from recordingrevolution are moving away from PT.
AVID forgets there is a huge presents of users who talk and use Pro Tools.
When those guys start using something else, Reason, reaper, studio one ect, those watching will migrate to those platforms.
And Graham is just one guy. There are TONS. Pro Tools will be axed for sure.

PT First is a joke. The underlining users of the vanilla version will walk. It will be 80-90 percent of them if not more.

Have you seen Deliverance? There is one scene where he is told to squeal like a pig.
That's pretty much what the HD users are facing.

Mid 2016 Pro Tools user base will be 2/3'rds what it is now. Vanillas gone, HD users will play out their 11 license as long as they can or just switch.

About 15-20 percent of the base will be on the plan. And Maybe that is all AVID needs.

As mentioned, AVID's response is non existing and even after JFreak created a threat, at my request, for them to respond to so they didn't have to read through all the noise.

Have they?

NOPE! That should tell you something there.

Good luck AVID. A year from now when you are trying to get everyone back, it will be too late.
3 months ago my production and writing partner bought a Plain Vanilla PT 11 and an MBox, almost exclusively for collaboration. When he got wind of this he uninstalled PT 11, and put the MBox back in it's box and currently has it on ebay.

If you look at my sig you'll see another system in there, much like yours. I've been using it to get acquainted with the software and have all the plugs that I have for my Pro Tools rig, only they are better (UAD). I also have VST and AU versions of my 3rd party AAX plugs so I'm not missing anything there either...and no iLok required. The best thing about the new rig? Been using it almost constantly for about 10 days. The latency is as good as HDX, the plugs sound as good or better, and I haven't had ONE hiccup! Additionally, what has been keeping me with my old Mac Pro rig was if I go to a NMP I will need a Sonnet or Magma chassis, so that expense will be vapor.

Finally, the amortization of my rig will allow me to utilize a Raven...no Eucon!
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
3 months ago my production and writing partner bought a Plain Vanilla PT 11 and an MBox, almost exclusively for collaboration. When he got wind of this he uninstalled PT 11, and put the MBox back in it's box and currently has it on ebay.

If you look at my sig you'll see another system in there, much like yours. I've been using it to get acquainted with the software and have all the plugs that I have for my Pro Tools rig, only they are better (UAD). I also have VST and AU versions of my 3rd party AAX plugs so I'm not missing anything there either...and no iLok required. The best thing about the new rig? Been using it almost constantly for about 10 days. The latency is as good as HDX, the plugs sound as good or better, and I haven't had ONE hiccup! Additionally, what has been keeping me with my old Mac Pro rig was if I go to a NMP I will need a Sonnet or Magma chassis, so that expense will be vapor.

Finally, the amortization of my rig will allow me to utilize a Raven...no Eucon!
I just made an inquiry about the Raven today and they are trying to see if Slate will do business through them, as it was basically GC Pro exclusive.

I'll demo it first, but it looks promising. I do like tackle surfaces, but I do so much with the mouse anymore, I don't think it would really be that much of a change.

Will have to reconfigure a few things on my desk but I measured and it fits perfectly.
Looking at June possible.

Since I'm not buying AVID gear now this year, I'm saving a ton. With the Raven, I've got much leftover for a couple of 1073's and a lunchbox too.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
+1

I'm ready to buy a new system and I won't wait much longer myself.

I have an HD system spec'ed out and another system with third party hardware. My decision will be based on their answer to the HD licensing.
That might be a long wait. It is mid march and AVID still can't make a policy. I wouldn't hold your breath.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 03-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitepoem View Post
+1

It's gonna be a bad bad year for avid.
YEP!
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 03-17-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitepoem View Post
+1

It's gonna be a bad bad year for avid.
I think the full impact of Avid's recent license policy decisions will more likely be felt in 2016. This is the first anniversaries of those plans sold with discounted PT11 upgrades. A crunch time for many who will either pay or step out.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
That might be a long wait. It is mid march and AVID still can't make a policy. I wouldn't hold your breath.
It's extremely frustrating to say the least!

I've poured over all of the options that current technology offers and for me HD Native really is the best solution. Any third party hardware combination I come up with always seems to have a compromise.

I just can't bring myself to spend that much though without knowing what the future holds...
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
Calm down there Barry, mah dood, although this thread has racked up some clicks
you'd have to double, no, triple, eh, quadruple, check that, quintuple the views and you'd still be 5000 short of the pro control thread
which just started to fade away a few months ago.

faced with those quarter million views,(and almost 2000 posts) avid decided to do… nothing.

which has caused me, and i'm sure many others, to lock in our systems
and therefore not spend the upgrade dollars we otherwise would have.

also, epic threads like this usually get skewed by a small handful, in this case, just a couple, of posters whose post counts run into the hundreds
therefore diluting the impact of those posts.

and then, finally, I know you've been around for a while Barry,
so you should remember this tempest still pales in comparison to, for example,
the rollout of OS X
the intro to PT8,
the long haul to get LE ADC (whew!)

Even the introduction of color back in 7.3 (people would go blind!)
not to mention the slow rollout of compatibility for snow leopard
(I've seen 25 ghosts posting here recently, ask him about that.)
all of which created larger, and more sputtering teapots,
but most ended up just whistling Dixie...

best,
e
If you look deep into what I said, there was a very important distinction,

in such a short period of time!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp