Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Upgrading To HD

Hello! I'm a pro tools user running 12, windows 10, & with the eleven rack. So, ive decided too upgrade to hd, but the one thing thats stopping me is loosing my plugins. i know hd gives me more bang for my buck but i realllly dont wanna loose a good portion of my plugins & have to repurchase them if i even can, but If i do upgrade, i thought of getting the hd native interface because its simple to start out with, but anyways what do you guys think, what equipment do u recommend to start with for hd when u upgrade? besides the interface of course unless you have better recommendations! Also, is it worth loosing the non hd plugins when you upgrade or how many do you actually loose? Any help is much appreciated. 🤙

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Upgrading To HD

You don't lose your non-DSP plugins in HD.
HD gives you AAX and AAX DSP plugins.
You get more not less.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
You don't lose your non-DSP plugins in HD.
HD gives you AAX and AAX DSP plugins.
You get more not less.
So, say i bought plugins from waves because i have the diamond, gold & silver i dont wanna loose & a couple from other sites like sweetwater, & obviously pro tools 12 runs non hd runs vsts for their plugins, so would the plugins just upgrade too aax files when i upgrade to hd or would i have to go download the aax files at waves or how do i go about that?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM

Cool! So, say i have a couple bundles from waves & Sweetwater like diamond & gold, would they just automatically switch to aax files when i upgrade to hd or how would i go about getting my current plugins to aax's?

Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM

I'd suggest you do a bit more research before taking this plunge. Why do feel you need HD? Are you referring to HD software only, or are you thinking about buying a bunch of new hardware and HDN or HDX card?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Ive done research & what not but havent found anything about what my question is, i didnt plan on splurging on hdx equipment just gonna get the upgrade & native interface cause its almost that time of the year to get the upgrade & i was wondering about the plugins, cause i know the requirements but didnt wanna loose my plugins. I definetly didnt wanna get into something to where i wouldnt know what id be doing! I appreciate your help too guys btw.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Listen to Dave.

If you are not upgrading to HD software and/or hardware for

Advanced automation
Surround sound
Large IO counts
Tracking though HDX-DSP plugins
Compatibility with existing studio setups

...then you are likely wasting time. And the HD Software and HDN card are not cheap, compared to what you have now, but may be just the tip of a much more expensive journey.

Since you mention HD Native that excludes HDX-DSP plugins.

If advanced automation what control surface do you have?

If large IO count, how much do you need of what exact IO? What DigiLink interface boxes are you looking at?

For surround -- How many channels? What interface boxes are you looking at? What monitors and monitor controllers?

What preamps etc. do you own already to say drive inputs in a HD IO 16x16 or HD IO Digital/ADAT?

What is your budget?

DigiLink and HD Native really offers little at the low-end, except more cost and complexity. Thunderbolt interfaces from the likes of Apogee and UAD can provide very good audio quality and good latency and expandability... up to the Pro Tools CoreAudio 32 input/output limit. If you need above that with Pro Tools then sure you need (multiple) DigiLink interfaces.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:36 PM

And again in case you missed it:

If you have PT12 now then ALL your plugins will work the same in HD12 !!

If you have an older PT version, say PT10 then you would have to update some third party plugins from 32bit AAX to 64bit AAX but not if you use PT12 non Hd today as you say inyour first post. You cant run VST plugins as you mentioned inPt unless you get something like Bluecat MB7-2 or Patchworks.

so ... no worries there.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM

The OP and I swapped PMs on this, and I hope he will post more info on what he's wanting to do and get some general gear advice here. I doubt HD will factor into this.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Thanks Darryl.

I'll PM aswell later tonight when i get back regarding Porcupines

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————