Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-26-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Got my Clarett 8Pre working on my Lenovo P50

Some of you might have seen my thread over on GS, but I'm cross posting it here in case it helps anyone else.

My new Focusrite Clarett 8Pre is now running on my Lenovo P50 laptop with Windows 10 Pro, using the Focusrite beta drivers 2.1.9.

Last week when I bought my the 8Pre, I also bought the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. It didn't work, so I ordered the Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter.

I think I wasted another $82 on the Startech adapter.

When I got the Startech adapter today, it initially didn't work. So I uninstalled all the Thunderbolt and Focusrite software that I could. Reinstalled everything, including the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware from Lenovo, and the Intel Thunderbolt Software, and the Focusrite Control software.

As some point while installing the Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt firmware for my laptop, I got a couple of error messages. One said that I had to update my Power Management Driver, and another said that I didn't have the most current BIOS version installed. So I updated the PM driver, but I knew I had already updated the BIOS. So I tried updating it again. The intaller said that the current ROM image matches the update and it would not proceed.

Rebooted, reinstalled the Intel Thunderbolt software and the Focusrite Control software. Rebooted again. Plugged in my Startech adapter...and...nothing. WTF!!

So I did a full shut down. Connected everything and powered up the Clarett 8Pre, the booted up my computer. Logged into Windows...and I get a dialog box asking me to confirm whether I want to allow the connected Thunderbolt device to connect to my system. (You're damn right I do!). Go through another series of check boxes, one of which asks me if I want the Clarett 8Pre to always automatically connect for all users (Yes, yes I do).

And VOILA! It works!

It connects to Focusrite Control. And Protools. And it all seems fine.

So, on a hunch...I go back and try my Apple adapter. Well, whattya know, it works too! And it seems to allow hot plugability, which the Startech adapter does not. I can turn off the 8pre and unplug it, and then replug it and turn it back on without having to reboot. The Startech seems to require a full shut down. A simple reboot won't make it work. Have to do a full power down and power up to get it to come back on.

So now, after testing all the inputs on the 8pre, I'm running some sessions to see how it handles things. So far it doesn't seem to be any different than my Scarlett 18i20 in terms of CPU load. But it does allow a buffer down to 32 samples.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Got my Clarett 8Pre working on my Lenovo P50

I sell the Apple adapter with all my systems. Its cheaper and I have not had any issues with it.

Focusrite still need to update their drivers fully for TB3. They can still be a bit persnickety on systems. Its probably not going to really work at 32 HWBuffer either. When opening sessions with high CPU usage at a low buffer, you may need to toggle your buffer to 1024 and then back to 64.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-26-2017, 07:23 PM

I was surprised when I bought the Apple adapter and it didn't work. I guess I should have spent more than a couple of hours troubleshooting it to make sure that it didn't really work instead of just assuming it would be incompatible with my system. But, in all fairness, Focusrite did have a note posted on their Thunderbolt troubleshooting page about the Apple adapter not working with the Lenovo P70 laptops, which are the same machine, but with a bigger screen and optical drive.

Just goes to show, don't give up after 2 hours.

I think the combination of the new firmware that Focusrite posted at the end of November for the Clarett line, and the updated Thunderbolt firmware and software that Lenovo posted got everything lined up to work with the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I was surprised when I bought the Apple adapter and it didn't work. I guess I should have spent more than a couple of hours troubleshooting it to make sure that it didn't really work instead of just assuming it would be incompatible with my system. But, in all fairness, Focusrite did have a note posted on their Thunderbolt troubleshooting page about the Apple adapter not working with the Lenovo P70 laptops, which are the same machine, but with a bigger screen and optical drive.

Just goes to show, don't give up after 2 hours.

I think the combination of the new firmware that Focusrite posted at the end of November for the Clarett line, and the updated Thunderbolt firmware and software that Lenovo posted got everything lined up to work with the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter.
Where did you see a new firmware posted?? I actually have a 8prex and a 2pre.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I think he means the 10/10-2017 drivers found here:

http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Clarett+8Pre

I have heard (could have misunderstood) someone had got beta drovers late november l to try out as he was having a nightmarish install so Focusrite may not have posted the beta driver officially.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-27-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
http://beta.focusrite.com

Focusrite Control v 2.1.9 posted 11/30/2017, upgrades the Clarett firmware to 655/858 and adds Thunderbolt 3 support as well as fixes some problems with the latest Windows 10 Creators update. I and at least one other guy on GS have the new Firmware running and it seems to be stable so far.

ETA: Steve and Christopher, I know you guys understand and appreciate the full nature of running beta software, but I'm going to put it out there for our more novice readers that may stumble upon this thread. Beta software is in a testing stage. It's not fully ready for production release and may contain unknown bugs or errors. It's best to steer clear unless you really understand your system or you have a really good reason for using it. In my case, it was: Windows 10, on a laptop with only a USB-C type Thunderbolt 3 port. If you are running a Mac and still have TB2 ports, I would wait for the full release of the Clarett drivers before upgrading. The firmware update to the Clarett interface CAN NOT be undone.

Last edited by JCBigler; 12-27-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
http://beta.focusrite.com

Focusrite Control v 2.1.9 posted 11/30/2017, upgrades the Clarett firmware to 655/858 and adds Thunderbolt 3 support as well as fixes some problems with the latest Windows 10 Creators update. I and at least one other guy on GS have the new Firmware running and it seems to be stable so far.

ETA: Steve and Christopher, I know you guys understand and appreciate the full nature of running beta software, but I'm going to put it out there for our more novice readers that may stumble upon this thread. Beta software is in a testing stage. It's not fully ready for production release and may contain unknown bugs or errors. It's best to steer clear unless you really understand your system or you have a really good reason for using it. In my case, it was: Windows 10, on a laptop with only a USB-C type Thunderbolt 3 port. If you are running a Mac and still have TB2 ports, I would wait for the full release of the Clarett drivers before upgrading. The firmware update to the Clarett interface CAN NOT be undone.
Its funny you give the "beta warning", but if you notice, the 2.14 drivers that have been out for over a year now and the only actual function TB drivers for Windows, are still "beta" versions

Thanks for the update though on them. I did not know those had been released!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10