How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Repeated AAE 6101 Errors in PT11 w/ Mavericks

So,
i've purchased a samsung SSD 840 Pro 256Go and put it in a SATA6/USB3 box.
Then i've created 2 partions - one for PT11 projects (200Go) and one for over provisioning (56Go) - i've put my projects on the 200Go part, set it to ''record'' in the workspace but i still have this -6101 error messages when i put a track into record mode (CPU jumps from 25% to 100% in Pro Tools) even without recording anything.
Bluetooth/Wifi still off, last version of everything...can i say it doesn't work now ?

Edit (20.03) : so part of the problem seems to be the sample rate as putting my project to 44,1 instead of 96 has grossly solved the problem.
What is strange is that using an external HD doesn't help at all as i have the same performances without it (projects on the OS drive)...

Last edited by Virgil_05; 04-01-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM

I just started getting this error recently.

The new Mac Pro was running fine with this config for weeks:

Mac Pro 12-Core/64GB/1TB/10.9.4
Sonnet Echo Express III-D
- RED ROCKET
- Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro w/dual 1TB Crucial SSDs in RAID 0

This system ran Avid MC 7.0.4 as well as Pro Tools 11.x for weeks without an issue.
Something broke of late and now I have boot up the Mac without the TB2 enclosure to run Pro Tools without that error.

Anything new on this?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mBox View Post
I just started getting this error recently.

The new Mac Pro was running fine with this config for weeks:

Mac Pro 12-Core/64GB/1TB/10.9.4
Sonnet Echo Express III-D
- RED ROCKET
- Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro w/dual 1TB Crucial SSDs in RAID 0

This system ran Avid MC 7.0.4 as well as Pro Tools 11.x for weeks without an issue.
Something broke of late and now I have boot up the Mac without the TB2 enclosure to run Pro Tools without that error.

Anything new on this?
So what changed?

An AAE 6101 error is so generic it is unlikely that anybody else's 6101 error is related to yours. It is more important that you do all the standard troubleshooting things yourself (including trying to temporarily remove all third party plugin files from the AAX folder), double check all optimizations are done.

If the problem happens only with a session on yoru external drive but not sessions on the internal drive, that does not tell you a lot. Maybe the external drive is faulty, maybe the session is corrupt, or maybe the session is doing somethign/using a particular plugin that causes problems. You can exclude the session as the cause by copying the exact session (including all media) from the external drive to the internal drive and try running it there. Does the external drive pass a Disk Verify?

I would not be running anything in RAID, especially RAID 0. Just not worth the increased failure risk, and extra complexity, and SSDs are already damn fast.

And one possibility to consider is that SSDs can potentially show rapid decreases in write performance as they run out of pre-erased pages (that is different that free space), especially if not optimally configured. What exact model and size Micron SSDs? Was TRIM Enabler used to enable TRIM for these drives? How full are the disks? What is the over provisioning level?

To me these things are another case of RAID possibly adding just too much complexity. And the documentation for them kind of sucks. e.g. do they pass through TRIM? Should TRIM be enabled for the RAID unit or not? And I dislike that you can't apparently run them as JBOD (not sure if that is true or not). It's also unclear to me what low-level diags or error reporting this card provides? Are you on the latest firmware? They made much more sense as a low-cost SSD solution in older Mac Pros that lacked SATA-III motherboard support. But if going out to Thunderbolt to a PCIe cage with a new fast Mac Pro, I'd avoid the SATA bottlenecks altogether and try to use the stunningly fast PCIe based flash systems available. Starting with the Lacie Little Big Disk 2 1TB (run as JBOD), or several of the PCIe card solutions available todays. Those PCIe based SSD prices will all hopefully fall in future.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure if this will help, but I've been having a very similar issue on an iMac. I just recently (yesterday) think that I may have solved my problem.
The computer I had the trouble with has multiple people using it. Somehow, someone set the internal, external, and system sounds on the iMac to Pro Tools Aggregate I/O. In Pro Tools on this computer, I use a MOTU 828 MK3. I went into System Preferences and set all the internal, external, and system sounds to use the built in speakers and mic. Now nothing is running via Pro Tools Aggregate I/O at all.

I have been able to run buffer sizes as low as 32 samples now (on only a stereo track) and have yet to see any errors at all when recording up to 90 minutes of audio with no pauses. In the past, I couldn't record less than 20 minutes with a 1024 buffer size on many occasions without getting an error, even on a simple stereo track.

I'm still testing this, but I thought I would pass it on because it has been a major source of frustration to me, just like it has been to so many others. I'm sure my solution isn't going to work for everyone, but I hope it helps.

System 1:
2013 iMac with 2.9 GHz Core i5
8 GB RAM
OWC Mercury Elite AL Pro for recording
MOTU 828 MK3

System 2:
2013 iMac with 3.4 GHz Core i7
24 GB RAM
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual for recording
Avid HD I/O and HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Anyone manage to get a solution to this?

Same story. Keeps throwing up the 6101 error. It got so bad last night that i couldn't record more than 4 seconds without getting an error. I also noticed that the mic would cut out when there was audio played through it. This is when the track is not recording but is in record enabled mode. Beginning to regret my move to protools.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------

Mac mini - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB Ram
Os X 10.9.5
Operating system on SSD
Writing projects on separate internal SSD
Digi 003 interface
Pro tools 11.3.1
Waves plugins
Antares Auto Tune
Vienna ensemble pro

Machine 2 for running software instruments through Vienna Ensemble pro Server
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core intel Xenon
14 GB ram
2 x SSD
Vienna ensemble pro
Omnisphere / RMX / Stylus
Ivory
Symphonic Orchestra / Storm Drum
Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 AM

I seem to have solved my issue with this. I was using older screens with via cables and adapters to make them fit and they were putting pressure on cpu. Have tried different monitor and all good so far. Realise this isn't everyones solution but might point someone in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:28 AM

Solved: turn airport off. Worked for me. No more CPU error.

ProTools 10.3.10 on iMac (custom) mid 2010 3,6GHz i5 16GB RAM 2,25TB Fusion Drive (2TB HDD + 256GB SSD). MacOS X 10.9.5. Digi002R

After upgrading to SSD+HDD+Mavericks, a lot of DAE error -6031 or -9128 made impossible to record just a stereo track (four plugins) for more than 20-30 minutes, using external USB HDD. Had to reboot everytime with the first error, it was impossible to continue working.

I was planning to split the fusion drive and reinstall Mountain Lion until I discovered that turning Airport off make system stable at all.

Give it a try.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 AM

I know this is an old post but this error just cropped up the past 3 days.I was running Office 2011 and began having many issues with my corporate email and getting locked out. So they upgraded me to office 2016 for mac and this is when these errors began. I am assuming it is hogging many resources in background. when I was just playing back in PT and switched to a chrome browser window I would get that dreaded cpu overload error. I am running PT 11.3.2 on Yosemite 16gb with rack 3. Using WD 7200rpm drives. and yes changing buffer did no good whatsoever. For some rerason I see my wifi was turned on and don't know why I have ethernet running into machine. and I'll be damned turning it off seems to have done the trick. so bizarre.
Cleveland, OH

Last edited by MacDaddy WGAR; 12-20-2017 at 08:58 AM.