Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Default CD burning software

I have noticed a slight loss of quality when burning to CD through iTunes. I suppose it's some sort of file conversion issue.
When I Bounce to Disc, my settings are normally:
out 1 and 2
wav file
stereo interleave
16 bit
I've tried Bounce to Disc with AND without dithering (digirack default).
I'm listening to both ProTools and iTunes through the same audio systems.
Does anyone have any recommendations for good CD burn software (for Mac) that will be closer to a 1 to 1 copy, Red Book standard, etc?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Re: CD burning software

Itunes has some default settings designed for the general consumer that you may want to check, and possibly change.

First, go under Itunes>preferences>General>Import Settings, and make sure it's set to WAV or AIFF (as opposed to MP3, etc.).

Also, under Preferences>Playback>make sure "Sound Enhancer" is unchecked (off). (this is basically a harmonic exciter).

Also, back to the Itunes main menu, choose Window>Equalizer. Make sure it's unchecked (off).

This might help, but even after all this, sometimes people still find that Itunes does something funky to their sound.

As far as other programs, the most inexpensive one I know of for the Mac is Bias Peak LE. It generally sells for $99. It's a lot more detailed and has some other features as well. I have the Pro version and I like it.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 PM

iTunes compresses the audio when burning (yes, even if you make sure it's an aiff etc.). At least that's what I was told by the masterers at Sterling Sound in NYC (and I believe they're one of the most reputable mastering houses in the country). They wouldn't take one of my songs when I gave it to them burned from iTunes.

So I bought Toast. It's about $100 or so. And some cool stuff about Toast is that it's not just for cd burning. There's other cool stuff you can do with it too, like converting all sorts of files from one type to another (not just audio, but video files too). Came in pretty handy (lifesaver, actually) when I was trying to reduce the file size of a homemade music video I made from iMovie.
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 6 TB
ProTools 2021.3.1
Melodyne 5
Soundtoys Bundle 5.3.2
Omnisphere 2.6.2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2.3.2
Komplete 13 Ultimate
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanegrla View Post
iTunes compresses the audio when burning (yes, even if you make sure it's an aiff etc.). At least that's what I was told by the masterers at Sterling Sound in NYC (and I believe they're one of the most reputable mastering houses in the country). They wouldn't take one of my songs when I gave it to them burned from iTunes.

So I bought Toast. It's about $100 or so. And some cool stuff about Toast is that it's not just for cd burning. There's other cool stuff you can do with it too, like converting all sorts of files from one type to another (not just audio, but video files too). Came in pretty handy (lifesaver, actually) when I was trying to reduce the file size of a homemade music video I made from iMovie.
Toast. It's good, it's very easy to use, and lots of features. Good call. I've been using it for years.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 AM

Another +1 for toast. Nice little package.

A:)
Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 AM

+1 for toast, does a multitude of functions.

For somethig more pro audio based then Peak LE is good.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 AM

I also use toast,
but they don´t have a upgrade policy to speak of.

but you want to take a look at this:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

it´s free.

best
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanegrla View Post

Anyone here know if Toast 10 is compatible with Snow Leopard 10.6? I am going from 10.5 to 10.6, have used Toast 8 & prior versions for uears...before I invest in Toast 10, I would like to know if there are "issues"....
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM

I use WAVEBURNER which is available as part of the bundle of LOGIC PRO. While I do use LogicPro, ProToolsHD is my main rig----but it was worth the cost alone just for WaveBurner...seriously.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:39 PM

So what happened to Roxio Jam... I'm still using version 6.