Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Re: What external hard drive enclosure(s) do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
That ratio is the exact opposite of mine, and quite worrying,

I've had 4 driver (2 F A Porche, 2 of the new ones) and they have all been spot on, I've also had two of the F A Porche smaller firewire laptop drives and all of them have been great.

I'm alarmed by the number and difference of the failures you've had.

I feel better backing these disks up, but still worrying the level of failure you've had.
There have been a LOT of dead Porsche drives over the years on the DUC....while PT compatible the Lacies have less than stellar reputation. The d2 series has more fans but they have had fair amount of failures also. My d2 has been fine so far but keeping back ups is always a good idea.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM

I wonder if the failed drives get plugged and unplugged a lot while those that last are ones that are left hooked up all the time. Lets face it; the power and firewire connectors are cheap by any standards.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I wonder if the failed drives get plugged and unplugged a lot while those that last are ones that are left hooked up all the time. Lets face it; the power and firewire connectors are cheap by any standards.
Interesting. And scary. Let's make a movie out of that
Old 09-16-2008, 04:28 AM

Bump! We need more Hard Drive experiences :) This thread is becoming useful... at least for me. Is it for you?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM

At the large studio where I'm working at they use G-Technology (G-Raid and G-Drive) drives for both Pro Tools and Avid (when they're not using Fiber Network drives). These seem to be built specifically for high throughput of large files. They're fan-less designs as well.
Another studio I work at uses Rocstor Rocpro drives for their systems.

The MAIN THING to look for is Oxford chipset in the Firewire bridge. Others will generally cause problems.

I'm currently using a Maxtor One Touch in FW400 mode as my main drive, which has the Oxford chipset. I plan on buying a G-Tech G-Drive for my personal system.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM

I found the best option....

I had a 400GB seagate baracuda....sata.

I went to our local pro audio shop that is an authorized GLYPH distributor, and got the 050Q CASE ONLY for $150
GLYPH DOES NOT SELL THESE DIRECT. need to go to an authorized dealer. It's basically like a replacement part.

Advantages of this case.
Built in power supply
Built in FAN
FW800, FW400, USB, eSATA. Internal SATA.
Durability, reliability.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 AM

I've had bad luck with MAXTOR drives (3 total). One client brought in 2 MAXTOR drives in succession and both failed to spin up.
I've had great success with SEAGATE drives, and recommend those to clients.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM

I've tried pretty much everything on the market worth testing, LaCie, Glyph, Maxtor, WD and truth to be told, most external chassis doesn't do it for me, until now...

I spent a little extra, but it was well worth it.

I got the Sonnet Fusion D500P with a LaCie eSata PCIe controller card.
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusiond500p.html

IT'S AWESOME!!!

I loaded the D500 with 2x250GB Raptor's and 2x300GB VelociRaptor's and 1xSamsung 1TB.

And if you don't have a spare PCI slot, it runs on FW also, but then you're kind of back in the swamp...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM

I've got a mercury elite 500GB and a LaCie 1TB, both running from a PCI eSATA card. They wrk great, and they keep my protools box all-by-itself on the Firewire bus. I run auto backups of everything all night long and there's plenty of space now.

eSATA is cool as heck - but get a card with port multiplier capability; that way you can upgrade to multi-drive hot swap enclosures down the line. It's not unusual for people to hang 5 or more 1TB drives on a buss like this.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphoto View Post
I've got a mercury elite 500GB and a LaCie 1TB, both running from a PCI eSATA card. They wrk great, and they keep my protools box all-by-itself on the Firewire bus. I run auto backups of everything all night long and there's plenty of space now.

eSATA is cool as heck - but get a card with port multiplier capability; that way you can upgrade to multi-drive hot swap enclosures down the line. It's not unusual for people to hang 5 or more 1TB drives on a buss like this.
So eSATA is noticeably faster than FW?... What are the major differences?