Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Consistently Missing Files & Dropbox Smart Sync

Hoping someone else has encountered this...

I'm working on a large session of a podcast episode that brings in audio from multiple recording sessions. This session is being worked on amongst several producers in different locations.

We're using Dropbox on desktop with smartsync and I keep having to relink one specific file for people when they open it. Let's call it the Amanda Interview. It's a mono file.

In the audio files folder of the PT session there are three files called:

Amanda_Interview.wav
Amanda_Interview.1.wav
Amanda_Interview.1.1.wav

[YES this is an import of the same file multiple times. I know this is bad, but I'm not in charge of naming everything, nor how it gets imported ]

I'll work on the session for a few days and then my colleague will, back and forth, back and forth. I'd say every other time she opens it, 1-2 of the Amanda files have lost their links and I have to go and force re-link this Amanda file.

I don't understand a) why it keeps dropping, or b) if there is a permanent solution.

This is especially important because our production pace is ramping up and I have a new version of this same problem.

A producer handed off a large session to an engineer and 34 files are missing (out of probably like 100). At first I thought it was because he wasn't shared on the same Dropbox folders, but I checked, and he is. We're working across time zones, so maybe he hasn't "smart synced" them yet... but as it's a similar problem I wanted to check and see if anyone else had had problems with Dropbox and sharing and if so, what they did.

I will be telling everyone I work with to "Save Session Copy In" before sharing, but I want to hear from others if they think any of these problems could be coming from Dropbox.

Thanks all,
C
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Consistently Missing Files & Dropbox Smart Sync

I haven't come across this myself exactly, but my initial guess is the file UID is changing. Try writing down the UID of the file in question in the workspace browser, then the next time it happens check that against the current file UID. I know this isn't a solution, just hoping it leads you in the right direction.

https://wanderingear.net
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Consistently Missing Files & Dropbox Smart Sync

When it doesn't work, before relinking, go to your Workspace and find the offline file and copy down all the info for where it thinks it should be and what the UID info is.

Then relink and see what changes.

Since you have no control of what the others on your team are doing, you have no idea what they are doing on their end. If you look at the Workspace info, you'll at least know what/where Pro Tools is looking. If it isn't in the dropbox folders that you are sharing, then you know one of the other people on the team has it relinking to the wrong place.