Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2024, 06:23 AM

Default Streamdeck for simple menu/automation functions

Hello, I'm looking to get Streamdeck buttons to have a couple basic menu items (solo mode) and Automation Preview/Manual write to selection. No macros (yet anyway). I'd prefer not to pay $10.99 a month for Soundflow Pro (which is required for Soundflow to recognize Streamdeck). Is there a way to accomplish this without third party $oftware? I can't seem to figure out how to get any PTs functions on buttons in Streamdeck. I've used Streamdeck with OBS before and it was painfully simple. PTs isn't in the list on the right side of the Streamdeck app. Am I missing something obvious?

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 01-28-2024, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Streamdeck for simple menu/automation functions

Hey Tim,

You don’t have an Avid Dock?

The basic tier of Soundflow is free if you have a current Pro Tools support plan. I’m not sure if those functions come with the free tier but you can take a look.

Otherwise, you can assign key commands to a stream deck buttons and program those shortcut keys in Pro Tools. Solo a
Ready has one. I use a stream deck and don’t use Soundflow and have programmed several keys for Pro Tools with the combination of Keyboard Mastro. It just takes some setup. I’m not sure about the automation commands however. Those are mostly Euconized commands but if you have a control surface like an S1 or S3, those can be programmed on a soft key.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:00 AM

Stream Deck use with SoundFlow requires you pay a $10USD/mo subscription and your machine must remain always online. Keyboard Maestro costs $36USD once, will work pretty much forever without needing to pay for a license upgrade and will work with your Stream Deck.

There is a learning curve with either of them but Sound Flow is more directly targeted at users of media creation tools like DAWs. It may be easier for a neophyte to get working out of the box.

For Keyboard Maestro, I recommend using the free KM Link Stream Deck plugin over KM's own integration.

https://apps.elgato.com/plugins/com.corcules.kmlink
Old 01-28-2024, 08:09 AM

^ Keyboard Maestro can be triggered by Streamdeck as above. A little finicky with automation functions that don't have a shortcut.

It's not a tactile Streamdeck but if you have a spare tablet lying around you can use Avid Control. It's free at least.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
^ Keyboard Maestro can be triggered by Streamdeck as above. A little finicky with automation functions that don't have a shortcut.
Thankfully the dev team have been expanding the list of actions addressable through custom keyboard commands which makes automating routines much more straightforward. I can only hope that the long-term road map includes more of this work, and possibly some degree of scriptability accessible to end-users.
ScreenFlow feels pretty hacky to me and the 'Avid Edition' bundled with Pro Tools is just a carrot leading you to pay for access to their platform if you want serious customization. This is why I endorse Keyboard Maestro so fervently—it's a kludge as well but it's more affordable and friendlier to the consumer (in my opinion). Its usefulness extends to the entire macOS environment.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:42 AM

Tim,

I checked and the automation commands can be assigned custom keyboard keyboard shortcuts which means then can easily be triggered by stream deck.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:57 AM

I find Keyboard Maestro to be a must-have for the Stream Deck, though it's awfully powerful on its own, with constant updates and new features.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
ScreenFlow feels pretty hacky to me and the 'Avid Edition' bundled with Pro Tools is just a carrot leading you to pay for access to their platform if you want serious customization. This is why I endorse Keyboard Maestro so fervently—it's a kludge as well but it's more affordable and friendlier to the consumer (in my opinion). Its usefulness extends to the entire macOS environment.
I concur. Longtime KM user.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:15 PM

Real simple way.
Assign shortcut keys (if they don't already exist) in Pro Tools to what you want (the items you've listed are there to be assigned.)
Put the shortcut keys on your StreamDeck. (StreamDeck can recognize focused applications.)

That's it. No need for SoundFlow or Keyboard Maestro (unless you start to get to things that need mouse clicks.)