Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2023, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Waves Creative Access?

Welcome to Potterville! Where your software tools are to be LET, forever in the pawn.

This "Plan" is truly evil and was done without warning less than 2 days after Pro Tools announced M1/M2 compatibility on Friday, March 24th.

On Sunday March 26th all V13 and lower licenses were rendered "un-upgradable" and "un-resellable". Multi-decade customers got ZERO notice to update their licenses to V14 to be able to sell them OR use them natively on new M1/M2 Macs.

The equity in all of your plug-ins is now ZERO dollars. When I bought their Mercury + Studio Classics TDM bundle back in 2006, it RETAILED for $9999.

This company has insulted every user, teacher, professional, mom and pop studio and organization by voiding the possibility to upgrade or resell what they own. NEVER spend another cent on their software.

Of course, continuing to use what you have paid for makes sense. Along with some freezing and bouncing.

Be sure to tell your colleagues, peers, students and fellow musicians that this company is to be avoided at all costs.

Signed, George Bailey

PS: Google doc of Waves alternatives, including H-Delay: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Z4SEI/htmlview

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 03-28-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthm View Post
How many Waves plugins do you use?
I have a handful v 14. The ones I use would be:
Magma BB Tubes
H-delay
IR-1
C4
a couple of the Renaissance plugins
and CLA stuff.

If they were missing tomorrow, I wouldn't even think about it, I'd have alternatives.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:14 PM

Here is a list of alternate plugins to replace the Waves.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
Almost every plugin
Old 03-28-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Here is their agreement of Legal that they of course figure no one will ever read, but I do. I attorney taught me to do that. Hah.

It does not cover off world use though..lol

G
It has a class action waiver and arbitration under the laws of New York State. Oh well good luck trying to get out of that. In the USA at least even if consumer protection laws might apply but you have to convince a state or federal agency to investigate and prosecute, and that's unlikely to ever happen unless something affects lots of people and is blatantly fraudulent/misleading.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:29 PM

Well, the good news for me or anyone that has updates to V14 already will be fine for a couple of years at least with just being in perpetual mode. I just spoke with them and they told me that there were just maintenance updates for what I had on V14. So I guess I am lucky for now.
The only way this person at Waves said that I would need to go on the subscription is if I purchase something new, which I won't need to as I have a lot of things here already and if Apple goes to a totally different type of update to Silicon or something else. He said,"You will be fine for a couple of years or longer without the subscription". That's at least some help for us here with the exception of new products. Updates will be includes with all the perpetual I have now at no charge as I am on V.14 already.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-28-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It has a class action waiver and arbitration under the laws of New York State. Oh well good luck trying to get out of that. In the USA at least even if consumer protection laws might apply but you have to convince a state or federal agency to investigate and prosecute, and that's unlikely to ever happen unless something affects lots of people and is blatantly fraudulent/misleading.
I was kidding. I am aware though of the law for sure-:)
BTW.. Read my next post as I just spoke with them on the whole subscription thing.

At least I am off the hook for any subscription for a long time unless I buy something new.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-28-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Well, the good news for me or anyone that has updates to V14 already will be fine for a couple of years at least with just being in perpetual mode. I just spoke with them and they told me that there were just maintenance updates for what I had on V14. So I guess I am lucky for now.
The only way this person at Waves said that I would need to go on the subscription is if I purchase something new, which I won't need to as I have a lot of things here already and if Apple goes to a totally different type of update to Silicon or something else. He said,"You will be fine for a couple of years or longer without the subscription". That's at least some help for us here with the exception of new products. Updates will be includes with all the perpetual I have now at no charge as I am on V.14 already.

G

Hey, that’s great. I WUP’d in February, and if I can stay solid for a few years after it expires next Feb, then they saved me several hundred $$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-29-2023, 04:05 AM

Quote:

G
This is lucky for you, spare a thought for those of us who may have some V14 but are mostly V13, or earlier. With no warning to update before a switch to a subscription. I am lucky compared to some friends who went all in with Mercury and other bundles, this is what really annoys me....

I had planned to transition to an M Mac, which requires V14 and my Waves plugins last week could have been updated - not now.

I can't even sell these plugins (if anyone would actually buy them) as you can not transfer licenses without an active WUP.

I think it is extremely, extremely poor how Waves have rolled this out - hence the huge backlash. Never seen anything like it and for good reason imo
Old 03-29-2023, 05:05 AM

I just read something about needing multiple subscriptions to run Waves on multiple machines. THIS would be the biggest issue for me since I regularly hop between my studio machine and laptop. Anyone confirm or deny?

I Think I found the answer, that you can move licenses, but it describes using Waves Central and selecting licenses that you want to move, which sounds a lot like how you do it currently. So not sure that is accurate to Creative Access which is not individual license based.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-29-2023 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:51 AM

I relied pretty heavily a few waves plugins, but after this I'd be fine never using a waves plugin again. I recently paid over $400 for WUP for my SEVERAL licenses. I pretty much "own" everything, and even purchased two copies of most plugins before they offered 2nd licenses. I did this recent WUP to align expiration so that next year I wouldn't have to pay over their ******** "maximum". I wasn't that upset with WUP since it added new plugins to mercury, allowed for 2 licenses, and updates have been frequent. I'm covered for V14 but it was released last June, so we all know V15 is right around the corner. They'll add some new feature that we all just have to have and then everyone will forget about this and subscribe.

Here's where it gets tricky, and waves knows it! Being a mixer that gets sessions from other producers/engineers around the world I have to "own" nearly all plugins to be able to open up sessions as they left them. Sometimes a demo will get me through, or I can buy that one plugin. With this new model Waves has me stuck. I'll end up having to subscribe even though I've paid for this WUP coverage. That $400 fee was just a donation. I know a lot of my clients won't stop using these plugins just because of this completely ****ed up business model. On top of it, I'll have to pay for TWO subscriptions so I can open completed projects on my 2nd system for soundflow stem bouncing. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid this, but it's going to be hard for everyone to stop using the plugins they're comfortable with. Lots of insecurity in music, and people like to use the thing they've always used. I'll try to get clients to commit things that are important, but if there's something crucial to a production on a bus or master, that gets very tricky. Try taking a multi band dynamics plugin off of a mix bus that's been there throughout the production and you'll quickly see how it influenced every single decision they made.

Last edited by thebeatless; 03-29-2023 at 06:08 AM.