Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Re: S3L - The early death of a sweet console and what could follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty martin View Post
I understand all that, but I don’t have a support contract, and I have been waiting for years for this update. The iPad app looks great. You said it is available to buy without a contract? Where? How much? When? I have my wallet ready! Take my money please!
This is a copy from Avid blog post:

"How to get the VENUE 4.6 software update

VENUE 4.6 software is now available to download at no charge for all VENUE | S3L-X customers with a valid Avid Advantage ExpertPlus. To download the new VENUE 4.6 software, please log in to your Avid Account and find the installer link. For more details about VENUE 4.6, please see the documentation now available in your Avid Account.

Existing customers without an active Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support plan (such as one that has expired) have two options to renew their plan and receive the new VENUE 4.6 software:

Purchase a one-year renewal of your S3L-X Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support plan through your local Avid live sound reseller (Part number 0541-39286-09)
If you just want to upgrade your VENUE software, you will soon be able to purchase the VENUE 4.6 upgrade for S3L-X directly from the Avid Store"

FYI Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support plan through your local Avid live sound reseller (Part number 0541-39286-09) is $1100.- list price USD

We will see how much the 4.6 upgrade alone from Avid Store will be, but if you want it TODAY then it looks like it would cost you 1.1K to get this in case your desk is less than a year old. You would also get the hardware coverage AFAIK.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 AM

I asked the question at the show, the upgrade is $150.00. While there is a disparity between the support plan and the upgrade, keep in mind the support plan is basically a 24/7 parts and service warranty. Not shilling for AVID, just trying to provide facts.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Who is Eric ??
emluper Ryan used my real name which caused the confusion.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
I asked the question at the show, the upgrade is $150.00.
Good news! $150.00 is fair, I'm sure a lot of work went in to this release and as we know it's a small team with most of their emphasis on the S6L.
Next question. When? I need this like 3 years ago!
Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 AM

I get 4.6... and ... mmmm ... two years waiting for that? Really? Only two "big" things: App for iPad (but far from what we expected) and the fact that when you press with your finger EQ, dynamics or aux section it change the color at the screen.

So, I get the same question: will Avid do more or this is what we get?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM

There are also 150 bug fixes, and touch screen actually speeds up the workflow much more than you think. That being said..... only you can decide if the upgrade is worth it for your situation. In regards to waiting.... there are reasons beyond just available manpower that go into bringing tablet functionality to fruition. The software platform for the VENUE desks was built around stability YEARS before the thought of iOS or tablets were even on the market. That stability that we all take for granted makes it difficult to allow outside "access" to the software while maintaining complete functionality and keeping the system as stable as it's always been. I was walked through what it took to get "Tap Tempo" working once, and so I COMPLETELY understand the hair pulling it took to get things this far with On-Stage. Again, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not what Avid's doing works for them. I'm sold on the workflows, sound quality, and consistency that they try to maintain across platforms, so I'm willing to wait.

Last edited by emluper; 01-30-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:08 PM

This update is quite frankly a joke, the only new things apart from bugfixes (and that one could argue is a manufacturing fault) is that you point at the screen and the top row change function “touch zones” and that you can use the app. 150 or 200$ for that? I have had a touchscreen that have worked really well the last few years and was hoping for the app to be a little more advanced. We don’t en get the same looks as the v5 or v3, it still looks like it did 12 years ago. I’m also baffled by the fact that a company that wants to be the professional choice has two consoles and they don’t work together!
And to blame Sarbanes-Oxley is just plain BS, then Apple and a lot of other companies would be in a lot worse trouble. And if that really would be the case this update could be 10 or 15$, that would be more reasonable.
I don’t have a problem to pay for things, but at least give us a real update if you want to charge for it.

www.arctictone.se
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM

Just passing along what I was told. They've been charging $149 for an update since 2.0 on the D-Show. If you think about it, the installed user base isn't large enough for $149 to cover the development cost (which is what we argued back in '07), and the bad press isn't worth $1,000 per installed console, so there has to be some reason, and it certainly isn't money, cause they're not making any. As far as corporate..... I could join you and go in on them all day, but this forum is supposed to be about us helping each other out.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM

I don’t mind paying for features. I just don’t understand what is in this update exactly and how it is affecting workflow. So I’d be very happy if some of you on the beta team could elaborate. I am especially curious on the touch zones. How exactly does it work? Do you feel it speeds up workflow for you, and if so, why? I’ve been looking at he app, and for me, that’s not worth the price alone, but that is due to my specific needs, and may be different for someone else.

Touch zones, people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 08:38 AM

Touch zones work the same way they do on the S6L. You touch the EQ section, Preamp section, Auxs 1-8, Auxs 9-16, etc., and they attention that area to the Channel Control Encoders at the top of the S3 surface. It's a REALLY fast way of working because you don't have to reach for tiny buttons now, just tap the section of the screen you need to adjust. You also have the option of adjusting the parameters on screen. It's a faster workflow and will prepare you for working on the S6L if you choose to upgrade or just happened to be in the position to work on one.