Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-24-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Re: S3 vs Two S1's

Just adding a data point: you can get an S3 new for about $3900.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Just adding a data point: you can get an S3 new for about $3900.
Very relevant data point as the two S1's will be $2600 and then depending on what tablet you get could go as high at $2600 for two ipad pro's and put it at $4600 or say $3600 with two $500 tablets. Its in the range of the S3 (But you get two nice tablets to use ...)

(BTW I have not personally seen a new S3 going for $3900)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:04 PM

First of all i love my s3 and dock combo... It works...
The biggest con is the limitation to 16 faders +1 of the dock.
The next thing is the position of some buttons, which works for live, but not really for other applications. Remember the S3 was released as live control surface and not for Protools at all. The artist transport was a very good addition to the s3. It had a Numpad, but thats all history, cause it was replaced by the dock, which is a great piece of hardware in combination with the Ipad.

I quote Ediie Jones about the S3
"At present we have no plans to EOL S3 but if sales drop to nothing next year we might be forced to. Dont forget even if we do there will be a further 5 years hardware support and we still release free updates today for the very first Artist Mix 12 years ago, so software wont be an issue."

If i would decide today, i won´t buy a S3, cause the S1 has the same hardware and with the Ipads a better Meter Bridge (S6 like). Would i miss the second row of Oleds... No, cause the visual feedback of the Ipads is better. Pan, Sends and so on... Would i miss the meters next to the fader... Yes... cause they are a good indication, but i think the S6 Meters with S1 are better...

Lets speak of the price point...

Lets buy 2 S1s (1299) and 2 Ipad Pro 12 and a high qualitiy audio interface... You are in the same price region as the s3 or above....

The s3 is still a great compact control surface with integratet AVB Audio interface. Its handy, if you take it on stage or need to travel for recordings. But lets face it... It will never get the possibility to add Ipads or another Tablet to get the S6 style metering. And you will always be limited to 16 Faders....

My future setup for my home studio will be... 4 S1 (32 Faders) 4 Ipad Pros 12 for metering... thats it, cause as a hdx user i dont need an audio interface, cause i have my HD Interfaces...Omni and more...

So yes i think with the new modular approach of the s1, it will replace the s3...
Old 10-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
First of all i love my s3 and dock combo... It works...
The biggest con is the limitation to 16 faders +1 of the dock.
The next thing is the position of some buttons, which works for live, but not really for other applications. Remember the S3 was released as live control surface and not for Protools at all. The artist transport was a very good addition to the s3. It had a Numpad, but thats all history, cause it was replaced by the dock, which is a great piece of hardware in combination with the Ipad.

I quote Ediie Jones about the S3
"At present we have no plans to EOL S3 but if sales drop to nothing next year we might be forced to. Dont forget even if we do there will be a further 5 years hardware support and we still release free updates today for the very first Artist Mix 12 years ago, so software wont be an issue."

If i would decide today, i won´t buy a S3, cause the S1 has the same hardware and with the Ipads a better Meter Bridge (S6 like). Would i miss the second row of Oleds... No, cause the visual feedback of the Ipads is better. Pan, Sends and so on... Would i miss the meters next to the fader... Yes... cause they are a good indication, but i think the S6 Meters with S1 are better...

Lets speak of the price point...

Lets buy 2 S1s (1299) and 2 Ipad Pro 12 and a high qualitiy audio interface... You are in the same price region as the s3 or above....

The s3 is still a great compact control surface with integratet AVB Audio interface. Its handy, if you take it on stage or need to travel for recordings. But lets face it... It will never get the possibility to add Ipads or another Tablet to get the S6 style metering. And you will always be limited to 16 Faders....

My future setup for my home studio will be... 4 S1 (32 Faders) 4 Ipad Pros 12 for metering... thats it, cause as a hdx user i dont need an audio interface, cause i have my HD Interfaces...Omni and more...

So yes i think with the new modular approach of the s1, it will replace the s3...
Interesting you have concluded the S1 route and the other S3 owners on this thread as equally passionate about staying with S3. Its all about the meter screen and going over the 16 faders it seems for you. Different strokes for different folks ...
Old 10-26-2019, 05:35 PM

FWIW, I found several android tablets on Amazon with 11.5-12.5" screens and priced under $200

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
Interesting you have concluded the S1 route and the other S3 owners on this thread as equally passionate about staying with S3. Its all about the meter screen and going over the 16 faders it seems for you. Different strokes for different folks ...
I'm also in the camp of potentially switching to the S1.

So at this point the opinions are 50/50 (if I can count correctly)
Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 AM

The best thing,Avid could do, is to release a S2...
A 8 Fader Control Surface with all S1 features and the S3 features combined.
I mean 2 rows of oled displays and encoders and the meter next to the fader.
So you have an 8 Fader S3 with S6 metering through Ipads or Android tablets. This would be so great... 4 S2s means 32 Faders...
I think, an audio interface is not needed, cause everyone has external hardware from Avid,UAD or Antelope or Apogee...

Is there anyone out there, who is using the AVB interface of the S3 as main Audio Hardware?
Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
I was expecting the S4 to fill the void for this many inputs between the S6 and the S3 but it turns out this was not the case and the S4 is crazy expensive so this setup really makes a lot of sense. I plan to have two eventually. Keep an eye out on Best Buy for refurbished IPad Pros if looking they had them at really good prices and BF is coming soon.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, I found several android tablets on Amazon with 11.5-12.5" screens and priced under $200
which 12.5? I've been looking for some since the s1 was announced.

I think for myself, I'm probably going to get a 3 s1's with android tablets, and the dock with the ipad pro 12.9 I already have. Then I'll get a raven so I can use it to quick input plugins sends and I/O and do editing on the edit window. If both system can work together, that would be a really good combo and that would be really close to the system I pitched Avid earlier this year. Well I just found some people are actually using the Raven MTI2 with Artist mix, so the s1 and MTI2 should work, yay!

Wave-T.com
Old 10-28-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
which 12.5? I've been looking for some since the s1 was announced.

I think for myself, I'm probably going to get a 3 s1's with android tablets, and the dock with the ipad pro 12.9 I already have. Then I'll get a raven so I can use it to quick input plugins sends and I/O and do editing on the edit window. If both system can work together, that would be a really good combo and that would be really close to the system I pitched Avid earlier this year. Well I just found some people are actually using the Raven MTI2 with Artist mix, so the s1 and MTI2 should work, yay!
Go to amazon.com and search for 12.5 android tablet and it will show you several models ranging from 10" and up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave