Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Default specs needed for pro tools 8?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a computer to run Pro Tools 8. My budget is modest at this time, but I'd like something that will give me at least a couple years of work before needing replacement (not something that will be obsolete tomorrow).

My problem is that every time I think I've found something that will work, I find out it doesn't match one of the requirements Pro Tools likes.

I would also like to point out that while I would prefer a PC because it would be compatible with everything I already have, I am not ruling out a Mac if I can find one for a reasonable price.

So, my understanding is that I need at least the following:

Secondary Audio Drive (or ability to add an external)--SATA or Firewire Drive 7200rpm
Firewire Port for Interface
Dedicated Graphics Card (is there a specific one I should look for? one I should avoid?)
Processor that is NOT AMD Turion or Sempron, or Intel Celeron (does this mean that the new i5 and i7 processors are good?)
At least 2GB RAM (more if possible)

Are there any other major considerations I should look at? I've read something here about Dell computers not being the best at working with Pro Tools, are there any other manufacturers that I should stay clear of? What about manufacturers that have a good reputation for working with Pro Tools?

I've also noticed that computers tend to only have a single firewire port. Is it reasonable to think that daisy chaining the audio drive and interface would work?
The web-site doesn't say much about eSATA...anyone have success/failure with this type of audio drive?

I know I have a lot of questions, but it just seems that the information the web-site provides is not up-to-date with the latest models of computers and processors. I'd hate to buy something that doesn't even work!

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Default Re: specs needed for pro tools 8?

I would not worry too much about popular manufacture brands. The ones that actually are compatible with Pro Tools are way overpriced. I speak from my own experience when saying that custom built computers are the best way to go for Pro Tools... cheaper too.

Have you tried these stickies?

Modest budget - http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=200560

Sky is the limit - http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Good read in general - http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=200560

Everything you need should be in those threads

Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM

+1 on those stickies. as for these ??

Secondary Audio Drive (or ability to add an external)--SATA or Firewire Drive 7200rpm-internal is cheapest and best. Add a 3rd drive for samples, firewire MUST use Oxford 9xx chipset.
Firewire Port for Interface-should be a TI chipset
Dedicated Graphics Card (is there a specific one I should look for? one I should avoid?)-most any modest 256-512mb ATI or nVidia(ATI seems to be first choice due to some driver issues, but not for me). 1gb cards are overkill and a bad choice with a 32 bit os like XP.
Processor that is NOT AMD Turion or Sempron, or Intel Celeron (does this mean that the new i5 and i7 processors are good?)-i5 and i7 are all good. i7 9xx series(socket 1366) are best with an X58 chipset mobo.
At least 2GB RAM (more if possible)-4gb is minimum, 6gb on triple channel is better(found on many X58/1366 mobo's) Sure, PT may run on 2gb, but it will bog down fast with a few plugins and a few VI's. If you're really watching pennies, go with a socket 775 intel mobo with an intel Q9550

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I've tried reading through those threads you recommended, but I think it will take me all night! But there's definitely a lot of information in there to be absorbed, and I've learned quite a bit already.

I like the idea of a custom built computer, but am somewhat embarassed to admit that the idea of building my own computer completely intimidates and overwhelms me. I'm not really a computer tech. I've tried talking to computer techs about what I want, but they tend to not be familiar with Pro Tools at all, which means they aren't at all familiar with how picky it can be and what it will work with. They also have always tried to sell me the most expensive components they can find, which is sadly too expensive right now (I'm looking closer to $1000, not $2500). I would love to find a computer that is somewhat pre-built, but that I can customize to get the video card/hard drive/etc. that I can afford and work with. I had been looking at Dell for this reason, but have since been told to stay away from them.

albee--
Thanks for answering about the specific components. It gives me a bit to work with when I try approaching a computer store again. Just curious, how do I know whether the firewire is Texas Instruments or not? All the spec sheets I've been reading just list the ports and not say specifically which chipset. I know the obvious answer is "ask the guy who works there" but my experience is that they never have the answer
Are there any other important specs I should keep my eyes out for?

Thanks again for your help! So much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky44 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I've tried reading through those threads you recommended, but I think it will take me all night! But there's definitely a lot of information in there to be absorbed, and I've learned quite a bit already.

I like the idea of a custom built computer, but am somewhat embarassed to admit that the idea of building my own computer completely intimidates and overwhelms me. I'm not really a computer tech. I've tried talking to computer techs about what I want, but they tend to not be familiar with Pro Tools at all, which means they aren't at all familiar with how picky it can be and what it will work with. They also have always tried to sell me the most expensive components they can find, which is sadly too expensive right now (I'm looking closer to $1000, not $2500). I would love to find a computer that is somewhat pre-built, but that I can customize to get the video card/hard drive/etc. that I can afford and work with. I had been looking at Dell for this reason, but have since been told to stay away from them.
My main reason for posting the thread links was for you to see the builds, which could jump start your quest for a new system. Those systems are working with PT. Perhaps find one that interest you most, ask specific questions about it and fine tune the specs for you, then take those specs to a tech and be on your way. You can't let the tech talk though. Just take him/her the specs and say this is the build I need for my line of work.

And DO NOT be embarrassed about building your own system. My first self-build is listed in my signature below. I was intimidated too at first. The build threads in the Sticky section are 100% why my first PT build (spec wise) was very successful. Also there are tons of easy to follow guides online for building a computer. If you just do not want to go that route then companies like Sweetwater and Rain Recording sell pre-built PC's for audio around 1,000.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Most of the info you really need will be found on the first page of each thread.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks again for all your help.

I've found a few companies online that make gaming computers more or less from scratch. ibuypower.com and cyperpowerpc.com. They seem to have good prices and I can select pretty much anything I want for the computer, but it looks like they do the actual building The only downside is that they are American companies, and I'm in Canada. I may have to wait a month or two to arrange a trip to the states, which is unfortunate because I was excited to get started right away!

I was looking at the GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset Motherboard, and noticed that you use that one, Yamlan. I'm curious if the built-in Firewire is compatible with Pro Tools, or should I expect to add the cost of a PCI card to the computer? I was hoping you'd have experience with it...

Second, I am majorly confused in regards to power and cooling (something I've never thought of before with my pre-made computers). I suppose the best place to get answers for this is to call the company that's putting the computers together? I'm just afraid they are going to try and upsell me several hundred dollars! (Can you tell I really don't trust computer salespeople?). If you guys know of anywhere that I can go to get answers on things like this, I would love to know!

Thanks again for everything! It's looking like I might be able to get my computer for just over $1000 (pre-shipping). I suppose I need to add the price of the monitor and peripherals to that, but I'm quite happy
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky44 View Post

I was looking at the GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset Motherboard, and noticed that you use that one, Yamlan. I'm curious if the built-in Firewire is compatible with Pro Tools, or should I expect to add the cost of a PCI card to the computer? I was hoping you'd have experience with it...
The X58A-UD3R rev 2 onboard FW has TI chipset and is compatible with PT. I experienced no difference in performance with a Mbox 2 Pro when testing with the onboard FW and the Avid recommended Siig TI chipset card.

Quote:
Second, I am majorly confused in regards to power and cooling (something I've never thought of before with my pre-made computers). I suppose the best place to get answers for this is to call the company that's putting the computers together? I'm just afraid they are going to try and upsell me several hundred dollars! (Can you tell I really don't trust computer salespeople?). If you guys know of anywhere that I can go to get answers on things like this, I would love to know!
Again (unless you are going through a company like Sweetwater or Rain Recording, who talk our talk) DO NOT ask the computer company questions. Look at the successful builds here and ask questions here, not there. A PT system defies the logic of 100% of computers they build for their consumers. Tell them what you need and give them the choice to build it or lose your business. It does not mean they are not smart, they just don't build PT systems. The gurus HERE know more about PT systems, and even give more info than Avid's site. I listened to 'em and could not be happier with my build.

Regarding PSU, the Corsair CMPSU-650TX PSU was recommended by the guys on the i7 thread after the Thermaltake PSU I had screamed like a pig when setting PT to a 64bit buffer. Problem solved and the system is now singing "Hakuna Matata." The 750watt would be more than enough power.

With cooling, I'd say it greatly depends on if your going to overclock. In normal conditions a good spacious case with multiple fans will keep your system cool. The X58A-UD3R (and my big hands) love the Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Steel ATX full tower. Lots of room and fans. Of course the Corsair Cooling Hydro Series further helps with keeping my CPU cool but I don't think it was absolutely necessary for my needs. I don't overclock. Guys like Philip888 (on the first page of the i7 thread) are successfully doing this and could offer advice on cooling, etc.