Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Default How can I achieve a ripple edit in Pro Tools?

I understand that Pro Tools does not have an equivalent to Reaper or Sadie's ripple edit. As an audio editor I can't live without it.

I've looked at the docs and followed a tonne of tutorials but there's no mention of anything equivalent to ripple editing. Slip editing moves clips independently but not others to the right of it in context, and shuffle editing is not what I want. I've read some forum posts and from what I understand it takes several key strokes per edit to do anything like it!

I know it's a pretty simple thing to ask but how do Pro Tools users move clips around in a manner like the example below?

Old 11-05-2020, 01:07 AM

Default Re: How can I achieve a ripple edit in Pro Tools?

I see Pro Tools Ultimate is listed as having 'advanced audio editing'. Is ripple (or something similar) available in that version?
Old 11-05-2020, 02:30 AM

So far, the nearest I've got it is:

- Select left most clip.
- shift+ctrl+return to select all clips on track to right of initial clip (hand now off the mouse!)
- shift+start+p to extend the selection up (repeat for however many tracks there are above)
- shift+start+; to extend the selection down (repeat as necessary)
- Listen and repeat.

That's a lot of keypresses. Extending the selection up and down in separate steps isn't ideal when I'm dealing with 50+ tracks. Is there a way to extend the selection to all tracks in a single keystroke? I've spent an age looking but can't find anything.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Use the object grabber tool. It's not exactly the same, but you can drag a selection across the regions you want to move and move them together.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:11 AM

Grabbing them manually would not be efficient if I have 20+ tracks and a 90 minute timeline.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_49 View Post
I understand that Pro Tools does not have an equivalent to Reaper or Sadie's ripple edit. As an audio editor I can't live without it.

I've looked at the docs and followed a tonne of tutorials but there's no mention of anything equivalent to ripple editing. Slip editing moves clips independently but not others to the right of it in context, and shuffle editing is not what I want. I've read some forum posts and from what I understand it takes several key strokes per edit to do anything like it!

I know it's a pretty simple thing to ask but how do Pro Tools users move clips around in a manner like the example below?

I understand that this is a few years old, but here's what I do:

Delete the section, then select the empty space by double clicking on it. Under EVENT, select TIME OPERATIONS from the drop-down menu, and select CUT TIME.

This is quite a few steps, but you can leave the time operations window open, and so then you only have to select and apply.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markshigg View Post
I understand that this is a few years old, but here's what I do:

Delete the section, then select the empty space by double clicking on it. Under EVENT, select TIME OPERATIONS from the drop-down menu, and select CUT TIME.

This is quite a few steps, but you can leave the time operations window open, and so then you only have to select and apply.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll give it a try