Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-05-2017, 01:47 PM

Default During recording, audio sounds fine, during playback, it sounds bit crushed

This is a truly horrible bug. I have tried everything to fix it as has Avid tech support but no such luck.

You can toggle the buffer size or restart to temporarily get rid of it but it always comes back and the track is useless... it sounds bit crushed like an alien voice.

I'v attached a jpg pic of the waveform before and after this happens (is a sine wave zoomed in). You can't hear it while recording everything sounds fine but when you playback your track is toast.

Any help would be much appreciated. The bug is completely intermittent but happens on a somewhat regular basis.

Joe

Am currently using the following:

Mac: Early 2009 Mac Pro
Processor: 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
OS version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
RAM: 64 GB 1066 MHz
Hard Drive: 3TB SATA Disk (Operating System Drive), 4TB SATA Disk (For Recording and Playback), 2TB Raid (SSD) SATA (Not in use yet)
Pro Tools version: 11.3.2
Avid Hardware:
2) Avid HD I/O
Pro Tools|HD Native Core PCIe Card
Avid C | 24 Ethernet into port 1
Peripherals: Drobo 5N backup drive into port 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot - Alien Voice - waveform.jpg (36.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JJTaylor; 03-05-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Re: During recording, audio sounds fine, during playback, it sounds bit crushed

Help Us Help You Nobody can offer any advice with zero info

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Re: During recording, audio sounds fine, during playback, it sounds bit crushed

Hi Joe, what exactly means everything? Did you change the cables of your interface? Also, what interface, etc?

Albee and I were posting at the same time. What he said.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Am using an Avid HD I/O. By everything I simply mean the audio being tracked
Old 03-05-2017, 02:52 PM

And yes have tried swapping cables..several versions of pro tools...operating systems..hard drives...etc..etc..etc

I started troubleshooting with Avid technicians back in August of 2016
Old 03-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Help Us Help You Nobody can offer any advice with zero info
Read this ^^^
Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 PM

I've had this problem since PT 10.
It's quite specific to PT as it doesn't occur for me Live or Logic and changing soundcards etc did nothing to sort it.
The only solution I've found is to turn off:

"Ignore errors during Playback/Record" in the Setup>Playback Engine menu.

You'll, of course then get an error message each and every time there's an engine overload but it's less irritating than the "ring modulation" effect that you had previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTaylor View Post
This is a truly horrible bug. I have tried everything to fix it as has Avid tech support but no such luck.

You can toggle the buffer size or restart to temporarily get rid of it but it always comes back and the track is useless... it sounds bit crushed like an alien voice.

I'v attached a jpg pic of the waveform before and after this happens (is a sine wave zoomed in). You can't hear it while recording everything sounds fine but when you playback your track is toast.

Any help would be much appreciated. The bug is completely intermittent but happens on a somewhat regular basis.

Joe

Am currently using the following:

Mac: Early 2009 Mac Pro
Processor: 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
OS version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
RAM: 64 GB 1066 MHz
Hard Drive: 3TB SATA Disk (Operating System Drive), 4TB SATA Disk (For Recording and Playback), 2TB Raid (SSD) SATA (Not in use yet)
Pro Tools version: 11.3.2
Avid Hardware:
2) Avid HD I/O
Pro Tools|HD Native Core PCIe Card
Avid C | 24 Ethernet into port 1
Peripherals: Drobo 5N backup drive into port 2
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 PM

Thanks remute,

Tried it both ways enabling and disabling the "Ignore errors during Playback/Record"...neither worked unfortunately.

Tonight I decided to replace the RAM since changing the buffer size seemed to temporarily stop issue. Feels like I'm grasping but the next step is to replace the computer.

Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow after testing. (if you leave a track record enabled for a period of time it will trigger the bug).
Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTaylor View Post
Thanks remute,

Tried it both ways enabling and disabling the "Ignore errors during Playback/Record"...neither worked unfortunately.

Tonight I decided to replace the RAM since changing the buffer size seemed to temporarily stop issue. Feels like I'm grasping but the next step is to replace the computer.

Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow after testing. (if you leave a track record enabled for a period of time it will trigger the bug).
While you're inside the machine do this: clean out all the dust bunnies and reseat ALL connectors and drives. These old cheesegraters Macs can collect dust like nobody's business and connections can go funky all on their own. I just lost one of my right side monitors and what cleared it up was to reseat the audio cable going to it. Nothing had been moved in years - it just decided to stop working.

QAPLA!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
WThese old cheesegraters Macs can collect dust like nobody's business and connections can go funky all on their own.
I have a 2009 cheesegrater and it hasn't collected dust. Over 7 years and it is still cleaner than any PC I've ever seen