Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Cheapest way to get a copy of Digidesign Smack!?

Hey All

Have been demo'ing Digidesigns Smack! plugin and I know there are lovers and haters of it but I flippin love it... without getting into the love / hate debate can someone tell me the cheapest way to buy it? I know you can get it in the music production pack for a good deal or by itself for not much less but I don't generally have $400 on hand to get it? Can you buy plugins second hand?

And good work Digidesign, love it.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Cheapest way to get a copy of Digidesign Smack!?

Check Ebay. Some folks get the MPT just for the increased track count and try to sell their license of Smack or other plug-ins.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.7 running Protools 2020.9.1
Old 12-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Try to find it on Ebay. Hell a lot cheaper. You can't re-register Digi's plugins though, but I don't care as long as Digi gives us plugin updates for free (I don't talk about AIR plugins, of course.). I'm looking for cheap Digi Translator these days. I'll find it, no doubt about that.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 PM

So I can just buy a iLok Smack! licence off ebay and use it to unlock the demo version? Is that legal since I haven't actually bought the software as such?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM

I'll sell it to you. Make me an offer

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbox View Post
So I can just buy a iLok Smack! licence off ebay and use it to unlock the demo version? Is that legal since I haven't actually bought the software as such?
When you buy the license you buy the plugin. This is absolutely legal.

Don't know where you are coming from, but there is a few of them on Ebay at the moment (at least in Germany, so you might look for worldwide offers).
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 AM

The ebay seller will have the iLok license deposited in to your account normally there is a $25 transfer fee, smack is dirt cheap on ebay, normally around $50 or less.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 AM

Hi... I find Smack to be one of the most useful compressors if you're working in a hurry and don't have the time to fiddle around getting another (better?) compressor to sit just right - it's quick and dirty...

I paid $18 +$25 iLok transfer fee for mine, so be prepared to search around and wait for a day or two if necessary. Also, make sure you have a full international search in operation on eBay - you'll get loads more results...

I buy virtually all my plugins from eBay and have never had a problem yet.

Good luck,

Jeremy.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 AM

I found Smack! on my PTLE installation disk today, while looking for something else. I installed it and it showed up in Library>Application Support>etc., but I can't access it from the Edit window. (Ditto Maxim.)

Anyone suggest why, please?
Roland RD300s electric piano
Toontracks dfh EZ drummer
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Digi Install disks come with various amounts of items to be installed... BUT.. installing them does not equate to you owning them.
You get different plugs/items depending on the bundle you bought.
This is what i was told, when installing my 003 LE bundle. I just thought , its on the disk, so this stuff is mine. Turns out it was TDM stuff.
Kinda makes sense, as they do not know what they are going to offer on up the road.
Of course this may not be the case with yourself. It could simply be an authorization issue.