Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-04-2021, 08:21 PM

Default Mac OS Containers ?

I formatted my EVO 970 which partitioned in two. One has High Sierra and the other has Mojave. From what I've been reading I can just create another container and use it whoever, and let's says can I install Big Sur with creating another partition and just create a new container ?

THANKS

Old 03-04-2021, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Mac OS Containers ?

You can create another partition and install Big Sur or you can create a container and install Big Sur. The two are fundamentally different and not linked.

Be careful with Big Sur. Since installing and subsequently removing it from a secondary partition on my studio computer, every time I boot into Mojave, the main OS I run, I get an error saying the disk is unsupported or something along those lines. Can’t remember the exact wording. It is not isolated to my machine. Fair few people reporting the same error message online. It doesn’t affect the OS and every works as it should, but it’s annoying to see on every reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You can create another partition and install Big Sur or you can create a container and install Big Sur. The two are fundamentally different and not linked.

Be careful with Big Sur. Since installing and subsequently removing it from a secondary partition on my studio computer, every time I boot into Mojave, the main OS I run, I get an error saying the disk is unsupported or something along those lines. Can’t remember the exact wording. It is not isolated to my machine. Fair few people reporting the same error message online. It doesn’t affect the OS and every works as it should, but it’s annoying to see on every reboot.

Thanks Sardi. Should I create a partition or a container to perhaps avoid that error?. Probably doesn't matter huh ?
Fundamentally different ?

Old 03-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Mine was a partition. I can’t say for certain that the error won’t occur if you use a container.

Might be worth looking it up and seeing if people are seeing that error with containers as well. I think they probably are.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Mine was a partition. I can’t say for certain that the error won’t occur if you use a container.

Might be worth looking it up and seeing if people are seeing that error with containers as well. I think they probably are.

Thank you. I'll hop over to the Mac forum.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:22 PM

Default Mac OS Containers ?

Quote:
...every time I boot into Mojave, the main OS I run, I get an error saying the disk is unsupported or something along those lines.

Incompatible disk warning. I found that the disk utility doesn't default to showing both the physical drive and partition. It only shows partition/container when opened, but you can go to view and set it to show all devices. I had to reformat at the drive level instead of the container to fix that problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-06-2021, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Incompatible disk warning. I found that the disk utility doesn't default to showing both the physical drive and partition. It only shows partition/container when opened, but you can go to view and set it to show all devices. I had to reformat at the drive level instead of the container to fix that problem.

Yeah that was it.

Actually, I think you’re right. I actually made a container and not a partition.

As I said, doesn’t affect usage... AFAIK. Just annoying seeing it on every boot.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:36 AM

In HFS+ and APFS the concepts of partition and container are similar but different in implementation. When you need to segment a disk in HFS+ you use a partition. In APFS it's a container. You can still partition a drive that has an APFS container. This is required for Boot Camp. A partition space isn't able to be shared with other volumes. Container free space is able to be shared among other containers in the system. For most of us that's the big take away.

For those that want to geek out on APFS Apple has this...

https://developer.apple.com/document...le_file_system
Old 03-15-2021, 11:55 AM

Pretty technical. Lets say I have two partitions already. one with Mojave & the other with High Sierra. I want to install Catalina. Should just make another partition to play it safe ?, thanks.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:55 PM

I’d use a bootable drive for the third OS install and run from that.