Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Protools Temporary License

My ilok2 broke. I have since submitted it to pace anti piracy. It would take a while to reach me where I am located. I am not in the US. In the meantime instead of scratching my head and lying to my clients, how does one get temporary license from Avid? My bread and butter is slowly going away.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Protools Temporary License

There are no temporary licenses from Avid. Never will. iLok does provide temporary licenses (14 day) if you bought ZDT (Zero Down Time) before the incident. Other than that, you will need to wait for the new ilok with your licenses transferred to it to be sent back to you. Now is a good time to consider buying insurance for your software assets. ZDT is not insurance, it is just a temporary license to help you for 14 days so you can get the insurance claim and buy new software or for the software companies to issue you a replacement license.

As for me, I have purchased two separate licenses of Protools and I have them on two separate iLoks. One has some other plugins licenses but this will ensure that I am not completely down if my iLok is broken/lost/stolen. Yeah, it is an expensive solution but since I had multiple Digidesign interfaced before, each Protools license was a crossgrade which was a little cheaper. It is good peace of mind to have.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I was caught off guard. Completely stumped. I also use Logic but I am currently working on a few Protools sessions for some clients. Some of these clients are very unreasonable. They believe that nothing can go wrong with Logic. Clip gain is my main reason for using PT and it can run on both Mac and PCs. I don't want to be restricted to a Mac as is the case with Logic Pro. The truth is, right now I am a bit scared with ilok licenses. My ilok2 was only one month old. I have to think long term and consider the most reliable way.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 AM

If I was in your shoes, and had clients in the midst of current projects, I'd buy another PT license post haste, probably from eBay.
It could always be sold after iLok gets you sorted out.
But yes, ZDT at $30 a year is a bargain.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 AM

I bought ZDT but after the ilok broke. I have an Mbox2 with PTLE license. I can upgrade that.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Get a 30day demo.