How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Default LFOTool AAX in Audio Suite question

Hi Steve,

First of all, thanks for designing such amazing stuff. I've been using your products religiously and professionally for years. You're a genius!
(and a super nice guy! We've talked on the phone once and you helped me out big time with an activation issue)

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question about using LFO Tools in Audio Suite. I know it's a 'time sensitive' plugin, but I do get some good results printing side chain FX onto an Audio Region when the 'rate' is 1 bar or less. However, it seems to behave quite randomly and I have to make multiple attempts to get the timing right. With the advantage that I get cool sounding surprises that sound even more interesting than what I was looking for!
I must be missing something and I can't find any tutorials on this.

It would be even cooler if I can get the Cut Off, Res, and Pan graphs working in Audio Suite. Mostly as a quick solution for the less intricate stuff, such as filter FX on a 2 bar section of Audio.

Is the Audio Suite version of LFO Tool intended to do some of the same things as the 'insert' plugin? (I suppose minus the midi functions)

Does LFO Tool calculate the length of a region and should I be able to use it properly once I figure out the right settings?

If not, that explains why when I set the 'rate' corresponding to the length of the Audio Region, it doesn't 'fill' the full graph and gets sort of stuck.

Any thoughts on this are welcome!

I have another unrelated issue;
with LFO Tool running as an insert on an Audio or Instrument Track, it often changes presets every time I hit 'play'. How can I solve this?

Thank you so much!

Nard
Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Re: LFOTool AAX

Is there a reason you specifically wants to use it as an Audiosuite plugin?

If you want the effect rendered into the file, you could just commit the audio track assuming your using PT 12.4 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Hi Sardi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's how I usually do it. Audio Suite would be a few less steps, though....
Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 PM

It does feel like less steps, but if you actually compare it, it’s probably the same.

Open Audiosuite plugin, tweak parameters and render audio.

Versus...

Instantiate plugin on an insert, tweak parameters and commit audio. Assuming you have your commit set to hide and make inactive, your left with only the rendered file on your timeline.

Don’t forget you can commit up to a certain insert, so you could have LFO Tool first and then other processing after it that you don’t have to commit. Alternatively, you could commit multiple effects in one go which you can’t (elegantly) do with Audiosuite.

In reality it takes the exact same amount of time, and IMHO, I’d want to be using a plugin like LFO Tool in real-time whilst the rest of the song is playing. I’d want to be auditioning the pumping effect in situ rather than in isolation. You can’t do that with Audiosuite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 PM

Hi Sardi,

Yes, I totally agree with what you're saying and that is definitely the way to do it.

However, I have a little problem with LFO Tool; it often changes settings by itself, randomly, usually as soon as I hit the Spacebar. Even when I recall my presets, some parameters are randomly different. Not sure if I might be doing something wrong. I am pretty tech-savvy and I've been using Pro Tools for 20 years for a living. I'll try to re-install it. Maybe it's some weird Pro Tools compatibility thing, or a computer issue, which is doubt since my machine is solid as a rock. In certain aspects Pro Tools is not very reliable. I would trust Steve Duda's programming over Avid's, haha!

So, ideally I would have it on many tracks and leave it on in the mix, like I do with most plugins, so I will have full control and flexibility.

Until I have solved my problem I will have to print immediately when I get the right sound, before I lose my settings. It's a bummer, but LFO Tool sounds so amazing that it's worth the hassle.

Do you use it mostly for the side chain effect? Have you explored the other awesome features, such as the filters and graphs? And then assigning different graphs to different parameters (pan, cutoff, res, vol, vari)? Man, the more I dig into it, the more I discover. Endless possibilities. It's been taking me 2 days to finish a track, just because playing around with it is so much fun. Addictive and distracting, haha!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:20 AM

I first heard about the LFOTool from one of Warren Huarts youtube videos. I think it's really great. Thumbs up.

It doesn't sync to tempo sometimes but works again if I stop and start the playback.