How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
No. Grid Toggle for clip editing has not been changed. For instance, you can still switch between Grid and Slip modes while trimming clips via Command (Mac) or Control (Win) keys.
Good call. Since there's no such thing as fine vertical adjustment for clips, there was no reason to roll back this particular application of slip-grid toggle.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Good call. Since there's no such thing as fine vertical adjustment for clips, there was no reason to roll back this particular application of slip-grid toggle.

It'd be great if it were optional though :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 03:52 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
Might sound silly but- I swap from slip to grid quickly, so I am just used hitting cmd a lot when I edit regardless of what mode it's currently in. So I keep accidentally hitting it while in slip and the cursor suddenly is not where I want it any more. Basically my brain and hand are used to "holding cmd=fine adjustment" all the time. The new feature is now making me have to constantly check which edit mode I am in before making the edit. This is no bueno!

I feel like this is close to the same issue people had w fine breakpoint adjust issue that was fixed. It's something small that can be worked around but the extra thought now involved to edit as I always have is really distracting.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. So, you are used to holding Command even when trimming clips in Slip mode? Looks like you are getting bit by muscle memory here. Not sure I have a suggestion other than to use it until that muscle memory is broken. Totally up to you if you want to take that on, of course.

This change was part of a feature called "Grid Toggle" and we've received positive feedback on this new ability to toggle the grid while in Slip mode for clip/MIDI editing. Our overstep in 12.6 was also enabling Grid Toggle for breakpoint adjustment in Slip mode. That is what we have reverted in 12.6.1.
Berkeley, CA
Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Kyle, thanks for this and for posting here. Could you please have a look at this thread?

I posted this as you mentioned it in your post #139.
Thanks for mentioning this. We'll check it out.
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-24-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I see. So, you are used to holding Command even when trimming clips in Slip mode? Looks like you are getting bit by muscle memory here. Not sure I have a suggestion other than to use it until that muscle memory is broken. Totally up to you if you want to take that on, of course.

This change was part of a feature called "Grid Toggle" and we've received positive feedback on this new ability to toggle the grid while in Slip mode for clip/MIDI editing. Our overstep in 12.6 was also enabling Grid Toggle for breakpoint adjustment in Slip mode. That is what we have reverted in 12.6.1.
First, I'll say it is exactly that muscle memory which has allowed the speed in workflow to increase to its maximum potential for us that have been using this program for more than a decade, and when Command is no longer means "slip" anymore, it means we can't rely on it to always make sure our trims and selections aren't constrained to the grid regardless of mode (yes, even if we are redundantly in slip mode already). Not having to check the edit mode gave a subtle speed gain, and you bet we used this to our advantage when we had 1000s of edits to get thru.

There's a lot more to it, though:

It used to be that we could just hover over the CMD key basically the entire time, having it pressed quite often for two reasons: 1: slip assurance, yes, and 2: to fire off key commands.

Grid Toggle aside, the new workflow introduces a delay phase into the process where the operator must release their mouse button before performing any other keyboard shortcut beginning with CMD, like switching back and forth between tools (one of my all-time favorites). Heck, even having it pressed just to have the next command on deck was a time-saver.

So, now our maximum speed potential is reduced twice.

The addition of a checkbox to optionally disable this feature would also enable us to have the command key held for other application shortcuts again, and also re-define Command as "slip no matter what" as we've relied on it over the years.

I get why people like Grid Toggle. It seems cool! But it totally breaks the previous behavior where you could really squeeze a bit more juice at once by doing essentially three things at a time.

There's gotta be room for another checkbox in the prefs, right?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Kyle- is this ever going to be addressed? It does not seem like an overwhelming positive response to this grid/slip feature if people are still complaining about it...

please consider this as a preference. it has been 2-3 years and is still very annoying.