Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Can you make protools load faster?

Hi guys,

got my protools mpowered last nite, installed it and loving it. install is very easy like, ilok isn't a problem at all. all i need to do now is register and make some music.

however, i have 1 question about protool load up time. for me protools takes a bit long to load up. And i believe because protools scan the plugins everytime it loads up. my questions is is there a way to set protools not to scan plugins when loads up? in sonar, there is function to have it not scan any plugins at load up and in result it loads up amazingly fast. you can activate the scan when you have install new plugins.

is there anything similiar in protools to that in sonar?

nonetheless, i can live with what it is right now. i am so enjoying protools guys!

thank you for all the help so far ...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Can you make protools load faster?

No. The first time Pro Tools loads, it builds a database of installed plugins. If you make no software changes, it is supposed to load faster on the subsequent loads. Once you have new plugins, or if something changes, it re-scans at load.

There is a new piece of software called Lok and Load ( www.lokandload.com ) that will allow you to create different startup shortcuts to load different plugins for different needs; one for tracking, one for mixing, one for mastering, etc. You have to close the program whenever you want to switch between. A good idea in theory, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 PM

thank you spkguitar. now i got an idea of how protools work. i certainly can live with the extra seconds it takes to load. thanks again!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 AM

As a manual workaround, you could go to:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Digidesign/DAE/Plugins

and move all of the plugin files you DON'T want to load for that session, to another folder called "Plugins (Unused). Now Pro Tools won't load them and will launch a little faster. Of course, those plugins will NOT be available for that session of Pro Tools. Obviously, you just move the plugin files back to that original folder to have them load and be available to Pro Tools on the next launch. It's not a great solution, but would work.

This can be useful if for example, you know that you won't need a virtual instrument for an Audio only project, but you may need a Compressor. Just go move the plugin files for the Virtual Instruments to the unused folder.
Just remember to put the plugin files back if you ever have a session that needs them.

I, too, am curious to check out the link listed above as that could be a less hassle solution, than my manual workaround.

Best,
Wade
Old 06-22-2006, 07:27 AM

thank you WStarnes, very good idea. i did a clean reinstall of protools and the problem went away. so i am ver happy now.