Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM

Default "PT Critically Low On Memory" - how do I fix this?

Hi

I've seen this message a few times over the last few days with a particular session. It preceeds ProTools shutting itself down.

The session includes no audio tracks, just Aux Input tracks which mix incoming audio in real time (ie. all the audio PT is mixing is being piped in from a different system). Why would I be getting this error, and does anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?

My system has 4GB of Ram, of which Windows XP only sees 1.5GB (PT hardware seems to reserve much of the rest), so adding RAM will make no difference. I'm assuming allocating more memory to DAE buffers will not make any difference, because nothing is being buffered off disk.

I really need to try and get this resolved, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

System is Digi certified Dell Precision 690, Windows XP (SP2), PT HD 7.4, HD3 Accel

Thanks

Jules
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM

could it be a plug in in the session causing the problem? any different plugs in the session that you usually don't use in other sessions?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 AM

first: install the sp3 update, it solves many problems.

second: enable or disable memory remapping feature in your system bios.

third: go into system settings, system, advanced, systemperformance-config and change the swapfile-size to 6144-6144 or 4096-4096.

xp should see at least 2,5GB!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:23 AM

Default Re: "PT Critically Low On Memory" - how do I fix this?

Hello to all,

I´m using a PT 7.4 HD4 System on a AMD Opteron 2 x 275 with 4GB Ram and WIN XP SP2.
I´m regulary mixing large sessions and I also very often run into memory problems.
Either I´m getting the same error message "PT is critical low on memory" or the mixer window or any other windows won´t redraw correctly anymore.

I have to close PT, restart and reload the session to continue working.
Beside the fact, that the Win XP 32 memory handling is a mass, I shutdown the network and Virusscanner, close all tasks without use for PT in the background before I start working with PT, this doesn´t change anything in the above behaviour.

I find out that using prgramms such as BFD Drums (RTAS), several instances of TL Drum Rehab, AMpeg SVX and Amplitube 2 seems to force this effect.

Checking the windows task manager show that there is still free RAM, but PT seems to be unable to use this RAM.

This effect seems to start at ca 1.6 GB memory use for the PT.exe.

So is there any solution to make PT to use more free RAM as 1,6 GBon Win XP?

Thanks for any help in advance,

greetings,
Goetz
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Re: "PT Critically Low On Memory" - how do I fix this?

Hi All,
When I mix hour long tv shows I see this. I keep an eye on the task manager. When I see the PF get around 1.3 gigs or so, I'll drag and drop a audio file from the desktop. This will reset the memory to under a gig in most cases and I can continue working for a nother couple of hours. Soes this work for you?
Best,
Brandon