Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Melodyne 5 Studio window behavior

I just upgraded to Melodyne 5 Studio and immediately noticed a window behavior that seemed wrong.
Essentially while playing back a track imported into Melodyne (auto scroll on) as soon as I hit the space bar to stop playback it's screen jumps back to the start position instead of freezing where you stopped. For some reason when starting from 0 or bar 1 this sometimes doesn't happen but in all other cases on my system it does.

To me being a longtime user of Melodyne who can spend days deep in vocal editing this really gets in my way. I understand the work arounds but I'd rather have any edit window stop where I stop it as the normal function.

A tech at Celemony has gone around a couple times with me on this. Being very helpful btw. The last email he said he wasn't able to recreate the problem. He was using PT 2020.3 and I'm on 2020.5 so maybe that is a factor.

So is anyone else seeing this?? I feel like I've tried everything I can think of short of reinstalling earlier versions.
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 06-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Melodyne 5 Studio window behavior

I've now tested this on a system running PT 2019.6 and found the same behavior.

I got another response back from the tech at Celemony who further tested and has confirmed that if you start playback from the start of your session, no matter how far you play, when you stop playback the Melodyne window freezes in that location. If you start playback from any other location, even 1 millisecond after the beginning of your session, when you stop playback the Melodyne window reverts back to the location it started from.

Though I'm beginning to accept that this must've always operated like this, I think it's a counter productive behavior. It really should behave exactly as the Pro Tools Edit window behaves...ie.. No matter where you start from, the window always freezes at the location where you stopped playback.
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 09-22-2020, 07:06 AM

I've just come across this and it's driving me BANANAS.

I really don't think it could have behaved like this pre-5. It's so, so bad. Did they ever promise a fix? I used to be on their old forum all the time moaning about stuff, until they got rid of it
Old 09-22-2020, 07:36 AM

Very frustrating behavior. I’ve learned that I have to click a blob before stopping playback. Otherwise, the notes that I want to edit are not in the window when I stop playback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-22-2020, 08:46 AM

Ha yes exactly.

Well the good news is Celemony have got back to me already - impressive Tech support! - with, "There will be a fix for this issue in one of our forthcoming Melodyne release". So that's good news.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Ha yes exactly.

Well the good news is Celemony have got back to me already - impressive Tech support! - with, "There will be a fix for this issue in one of our forthcoming Melodyne release". So that's good news.

Wow I’m surprised to hear that! Though they were very pleasant to deal with they never acknowledged this was a problem behavior. Maybe they have finally heard from enough people to do something about it.

Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 AM

While I've got a fellow heavy Melodyne user's attention - do you find the ProTools auto-save takes an age when you have a lot of Melodyne tracks on the go? It's fine as long as you don't edit anything, but as soon as you edit even a small portion the spinning wheel of death is there for a good 5 seconds, sometimes even longer, while it's auto-saving. Just another thing that drives me mad.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
While I've got a fellow heavy Melodyne user's attention - do you find the ProTools auto-save takes an age when you have a lot of Melodyne tracks on the go? It's fine as long as you don't edit anything, but as soon as you edit even a small portion the spinning wheel of death is there for a good 5 seconds, sometimes even longer, while it's auto-saving. Just another thing that drives me mad.
I never noticed anything like this. I am still on version 4 and will probably stay there until Celemony comes up with a fix

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-10-2020, 06:49 PM

I haven’t had the spinners with M5, but use only three or so tracks max. Having all of my Melodyne tracks available in one window is great, btw. I commit them asap but keep the original if I need to tweak it. The spinning wheel could be Melodyne having difficulty writing to your drive, possibly? Melodyne keeps temp files in its own folder, which I think is in your session folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-11-2020, 03:02 AM

Thanks for checking guys. I'll have to see if it does the same on my lappy when I get chance...