Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 10:36 AM

Default mezzo archiver weirdness

Okay, this is a strange one for me. I've contacted mezzo tech support, and they weren't able to offer any useful advice, so I'm trying here.

I have been running Mezzo 3.7.1 on a quadra 650/os8.1/44meg with an Exabyte 8505 for about the last 6 years. The system has been rock solid - until a month ago. This is a computer station whose sole use is running mezzo. We attach various 4 gig scsi drives to it, and let it backup & restore on it's own.

We have 2 main pro tools rigs here, one is PTIII on 8100 w/G3 card, the other is Mix on G4 with Atto scsi card. On the 8100 we use various 4 gig narrow drives, on the G4 a 9 gig ultra wide. Because the quadra doesn't like the wide drive, we transfer from the 9 gig to a 4 gig for backup. This has worked well since we got the Mix system over 2 years ago.

Okay - here's the problem: As of August, whenever I try to back up something from the G4, it will back up anywhere from 5 to 400 meg and then come up with the "this file can not be backed up because of an error" message. Anything from the other system has no trouble backing up. I can also restore any session to any system and it's fine.

So, I've exchanged cables, I've exchanged scsi ID's, terminators, tried using different drive for transferring. All drives have been formatted in numerous different ways....

I'm sure I've tried a few other things, but can't remember them now.

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So, I'm at the end. has anybody else had this problem. Are there any things I should try? Have I somehow formatted a drive wrong - I don't believe I've changed my ways of doing this...

If anyone has ANY suggestions, I'll try it. (I suppose I can upgrade to Mezzo 4.2, but that means trashing the quadra and running it off my G4 - which is inconvienent, but also a last resort)

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old 10-10-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: mezzo archiver weirdness

anyone??
Old 10-12-2002, 07:30 AM

trash the Quadra and find a used computer that will run the new Mezzo. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] e-bay? it's just amazing what you can find these days. Is the 8100 NuBus? (word processor?) Is there still an upgrade path for the PT3? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Or you can get one of these fancy new jobbies to run your MIX system and use the newer computer to do your archiving with some peace of mind [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] the times they are a changin
Old 10-12-2002, 08:02 AM

oh yeah, you should probably do some preventive maintenance on your drives (low level formatting, surface check, reformat them all the same)these problems can spread and become worse if left to the wind. I've been using retrospect and DDS2 and I wish to change to Mezzo and VXA2. I've had all types of problems and solved them, but not one exactly like yours. had you added any software before having this problem? Do you connect to internet with the computer with which you're having problems? have you reinstalled your version of Mezzo on the quadra? anyway it sounds like it's time for a revamp.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:43 PM

Hi rojo:

I'd love to follow the upgrade path, and move some computers around... Actually the exabyte is getting pretty old, but, as long as things are working, it's hard to justify the bucks. The ol' nubus 8100 is still working fine and does what we need - basic radio commercials and corporate voice overs...

Anyhow, I had a brainstorm last Friday - I realized my problem started with a new box of tapes. I had tried a few, but realized they came from the same box - therefore the same batch. I went out and bought a couple new ones at Staples, and everything is fine again. It must have been a tape wind/tension issue. I'll probably send the exabyte in for a full cleaning/check up.

Thanks for your thoughts though....
Old 10-17-2002, 03:26 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you
Old 10-20-2004, 06:11 AM

Hello!
Could anyone, please, inform me where can I find the Mezzo 3.0 software for download? I need to restore some tapes for a Remix, and I don´t have the software...

Thank you very much
Old 01-06-2005, 12:25 PM

Just FYI, I did follow the upgrade path and it sucks. It's great that Mezzo is working out for you. My experience is that the more recent versions are VERY buggy. After a bitter battle, I just switched to retrospect.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just thought it might be helpful.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 AM

Thank you!
Yeah, Mezzo really sux =]
Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 AM

I have done my share of trashing Mezzo (justified I believe...) for quite some time. The latest version APPEARS to be working well, backing up to two firewire drives in the background. When I say appear, I have not yet tried to restore any sessions.