Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 AM

Default anybody able to reproduce this crash with spectrasonics aax plug in

Hi,
I'm having a lot of trouble with protools 11 sessions,
with hard crashes all the time.

After a long search, I'm able to reproduce this crash - with only two tracks in the session ! - , which only happens with a spectrasonics (aax in up to date beta version) plug in (rmx) in the session.

My set up: MAC, clean install of OX 10.8.5 - clean install of PT 11(.0.03) - clean install of all plug ins (waves 9.2, VSL pro ensemble, VSL MIR, spectrasonics rmx, omni and trilian)
2 PC slaves running my libraries, thru Vienna ensemble pro, but for this crash they are not connected.

create a session
create an audio track with audio clip
create instrument track with stylus rmx (or trilian) (doesn't even have to be running)

now: move the time line fast from one point to another a few times.
With a short audio clip (e.g. 3 min) there is no crash

now copy audio clip a few times so the timelines gets longer (e.g. 20 minutes)
now move time from one point to a point further in time back and forth a few times: crash every time

Normally I work with 2 PC slaves running my libraries (VSL, and kontakt libraries - LASS, BW, spitfire….)
Only the spectrasonics are on my main DAW computer.

Since I work on film projects, I always work on long timeline sessions.
I could reproduce this crash every time, without video or lots of tracks, without the slaves connected, just with two tracks, the only condition seems to be having a longer timeline, and moving the time line cursor a few times over longer distances in time.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 AM

Default Re: anybody able to reproduce this crash with spectrasonics aax plug in

More Mac details....CPU, Era (3,1/4,1/5,1) Ram, OS drive type, Content library (Spectrasonics Mac attached) type etc.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 AM

mac 4,1 early 2009
2x2,26 Ghz quadcore intel xeon
20Gig 1066 DDR3 ram
OS 10.8.5
protools 11.0.3 (and 11.0.2)
Avid HD omni

spectrasonics sage library rmx (core + rex libr) , trilian, omnisphere)
aax version beta 1 for spectrasonics and all latest available versions of soft

4 internal harddisks
SSD for system,
dedicated drive for audio-protools,
sample content (has the sage library)
loops/video

the spectrasonics works, but makes the protools crash doing as described.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM

I have the same problem. For me I only need the Trilian or Omnisphere instantiated (initial patch, no MIDI data), hit play and jump around the time line. Crashes my PT11 100% unless I have an instance of Click II in which case the click goes nuts but doesn't crash PT.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM

Yes, I have this problem too, however my sessions are a lot shorter. Also just copying an instance to another track crashes pro tools for me as well!

Robert
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Hello,

I must say I am happy to hear that I am not the only user experiencing this problem, though I am sorry we have to deal with this crap. I have recreated this crash over and over for the past couple weeks trying to figure out what the problem was. I've troubleshooted everything I could think of and gave up earlier today until I saw this post.

Originally I thought it was PT11 on Mavericks, then I thought it was too many instances of Kontakt 5 and CPU spikes that were going nuts.

When I take Omnisphere out of my sessions it works smoothly and the CPU spikes happen less often.

It is very strange how the crash only happens when you jump around the timeline OR press play pause quickly and jump back and fourth.

Does your PT11 software give you an error message, or does it just unexpectedly quit (like mine) and send an AVID report form to send to the techs?

Lets solve this ASAP!

All the best,
Grant
Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 AM

I can't reproduce this specific crash. But when I'm running Kontakt or Reaktor in 11.0.2 on Mountain Lion 10.8.5, I crash all the time. Sometimes it just happens randomly. But EVERY time I try to save it crashes. There is no error message, no warning, just instantly shuts down.

I'm running an iMac, i5 2.7GHz, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD system drive. Everything was installed fresh on the brand new system drive.

All my plugins were downloaded from the manufacturer web sites. Everything was installed meticulously.

So frustrated.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantfloering View Post
Hello,

I must say I am happy to hear that I am not the only user experiencing this problem, though I am sorry we have to deal with this crap. I have recreated this crash over and over for the past couple weeks trying to figure out what the problem was. I've troubleshooted everything I could think of and gave up earlier today until I saw this post.

Originally I thought it was PT11 on Mavericks, then I thought it was too many instances of Kontakt 5 and CPU spikes that were going nuts.

When I take Omnisphere out of my sessions it works smoothly and the CPU spikes happen less often.

It is very strange how the crash only happens when you jump around the timeline OR press play pause quickly and jump back and fourth.

Does your PT11 software give you an error message, or does it just unexpectedly quit (like mine) and send an AVID report form to send to the techs?

Lets solve this ASAP!

All the best,
Grant
It quid unexpectedly without any warning, so save save save those sessions!

One thing I have done is gone in to preferences and made the autosaves happen every 2 minutes a well as changed the number of backups to 200 which seems to make the crashes happen a lot less for me.

Alternatively you can switch off autosave but it depends if you remember to save stuff all the time.

Robert
Old 11-29-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolsuserman View Post
It quid unexpectedly without any warning, so save save save those sessions!

One thing I have done is gone in to preferences and made the autosaves happen every 2 minutes a well as changed the number of backups to 200 which seems to make the crashes happen a lot less for me.

Alternatively you can switch off autosave but it depends if you remember to save stuff all the time.

Robert
Or you could just remember the save shortcut. My left hand is permanently curved into the cmd-S position for just that reason. That way I'm not dependent on autosave even though I still use it - 10 minutes and the last 5 saves.

QAPLA!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:10 PM

I use the shortcut but it's knowing when pro tools will quit, and I literally make a lot of changes in a short space of time, so remembering to hit CTRL S every other minute is a challenge when you're trying to focus on the project in hand.

Robert