Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Default PT11 with only 6 instruments???

Hey peps!

First of all, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a newbie in ProTools, so hope you'll bear with me, if it's a silly question (just spend a whole day, trying to figure it out myself, but I feel like I'm stuck! - so please help!)

I recently bought PT11, I installed it and it works fine! BUT! To me, it seems like there are only 6 instruments in PT11?? Is that right? "Boom", "DB-33", "Mini-Grand", "Vacuum" and "Xpand!2" is what I find. But I need e.g. a bass, maybe some horns, strings and so on... other kinds of instruments than just a beatmaschine, organg, synt. and piano. Please don't tell me, that I should go and by them extra -PT wasn't quite cheap...!

What do I do...?
Hope somebody can help me... thanks :)

/Mia
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Default Re: PT11 with only 6 instruments???

Yes, those are it.

But, Xpand 2 has a zillion sounds in it. It's basically like having a Korg Triton or Yamaha Motif synth. There are various categories of instruments you can look under. That should cover most of the basics for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM

You can see all of the plug-ins and VIs by looking at:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ive+collection

Boom drum computer with pattern sequencer
DB-33 tonewheel organ simulator
Mini Grand acoustic grand piano
Structure Free sample player
Vacuum tube emulation synthesizer
Xpand2 multitimbral workstation

You don't need to be an owner to use this DUC.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaKAE View Post
Hey peps!

First of all, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a newbie in ProTools, so hope you'll bear with me, if it's a silly question (just spend a whole day, trying to figure it out myself, but I feel like I'm stuck! - so please help!)

I recently bought PT11, I installed it and it works fine! BUT! To me, it seems like there are only 6 instruments in PT11?? Is that right? "Boom", "DB-33", "Mini-Grand", "Vacuum" and "Xpand!2" is what I find. But I need e.g. a bass, maybe some horns, strings and so on... other kinds of instruments than just a beatmaschine, organg, synt. and piano. Please don't tell me, that I should go and by them extra -PT wasn't quite cheap...!

What do I do...?
Hope somebody can help me... thanks :)

/Mia
As pointed out you have a truck load of sounds that you can edit to some degree inside Xpand, so spend some time with it. Also, Vacuum can be a powerful synth for those vintage synth leads and basses among other things. Just take time to learn how to program it. And Boom can do a wonderful job on drums. I use it a lot and if you program and EQ things properly it can sound dynamite in a mix. You've got more power than you realize.

All that said, if you need more instrumentation, then take a look at learning how to use Reaper inside Pro Tools via Rewire. With Reaper, you can load in VST VI's...and there's a ton of freebie and/or very inexpensive ones out there with many of them quite nice, actually.

But I'd get to know the instruments you've got first. When I first got Pro Tools all I had was Xpand and Structure Free. I probably went 6 months before I started adding more stuff.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM

I have a lot of other go to instruments in 10 but that Xpand 2 does have some very usable sounds and the arpeggiator works great. There are some quirks when trying to automate a layered sound in Xpand. If Strike or a lite version of that was free, that would be a nice touch. I recently used a killer snare sample in Structure Free. Record the output of your favorite snare sound and dump it into Structure Free. But yes, they could use a better acoustic drum VI.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Spend a Saturday morning exploring the presets in Xpand. It may not have everything for everyone but its got some great sounds.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Spend a Saturday morning exploring the presets in Xpand. It may not have everything for everyone but its got some great sounds.
+1 AND you can edit the presets and combine them in original ways to make your own sounds. Plus, you can use MIDI to play back up to 4 different parts at a time per instantiation of Xpand, instantiate 4 instances of Xpand on 4 different instrument tracks, assign a different sound to each of the 4 parts in each one and you could have a 16 track band going!