Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2001, 09:10 PM

Default Sorry digi- Slight key command angst

First of all, let me say that I'm quite impressed with 5.1- It seems to run faster, and is more stable than ever.
Also, I am coming up from 4.3 ->5.1 ( I skipped the 5.0 upgrade, so this problem I'm about to rant about may have been around awhile, although I did do a search before posting this and didn't find anything suitable.)
So without further ado:

SCRUBBING and SMART TOOL
"Hold the Control key to temporarily change to scrubber." Okay- this is fine, but when you switch from waveform to VOLUME or PAN view the control key switches to the pencil tool.
Now don't get me wrong- I like this pencil feature -but, as far as i can see, the other 2 modifier keys are just sitting there DOING NOTHING.
You no longer need the COMMAND key to temporarily switch to the grabber, so couldn't the pencil tool go there or to the OPTION key?
I spend a good part of my day scrubbing and editing and I make less mistakes and move quicker when I can keep my hands in one place. AND unfortunatly, it looks like Quick keys can't help with this one.
I tried the keypad shuttle, but it's not the same, as i have to move my hand off of the track ball.
And switching to the scrub tool and back to the smart tool... well.... it's just not a very smart move.
Other than that 5.1 is as slick as snot.
(and I mean that in a good way)

[This message has been edited by Natural Sound (edited March 15, 2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Sorry digi- Slight key command angst

You really can't scrub in those views by holding control? Pardon me, I'm holding out at 4.3.2 for the time being, but hearing this makes me wonder how my basic editing technique would have to drastically change for the worse. Say it ain't so; we all gotta eventually upgrade....
COCO
Old 03-17-2001, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Sorry digi- Slight key command angst

It looks that way. Unless I've missed something. But I've tried all the combinations and it seems that that there's no way to temporarily switch to the scrubber.
And while we're on the subject, I'm now thinking that there is no reason to even have a scrub tool button.
Does anyone ever switch to the scrub tool for more than 15 seconds before switching to another tool? You might use the grabber for awhile to move tracks, or the trimmer or selector to clean up tracks. But the scrubber? It's ALWAYS a temporary item. It only needs to be available as a modifier key to be switched to momentarily.
In terms of importance of most used features and screen real estate digi could swap the scrub tool with the Auto Input menu item and probably make quite a few non quick key people happy.
But digi could save themselves (and us) a lot of mental anguish and just let us program our own key commands ala Logic. Every function, every menu item. Pick what you use and dissable the rest.