Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 08-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Default MIDI Volume Control For Individual Tracks in PT7

MIDI volume slider adjusts all tracks at one time even though they are Not grouped together. How do I adjust the volume of each individual MIDI track separately without affecting the volume of the other MIDI tracks?
Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Default Re: MIDI Volume Control For Individual Tracks in PT7

What's your setup?

Is it that the volume in your hardware synth/modules is being affected?

What channels is each instrument on?

If it's a drum sequence - with several sounds on several MIDI tracks, yet all on the same channel - then the volume will adjust all sounds across all MIDI tracks that are sending to the same MIDI channel.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 PM

I am using a Roland XP-50 keyboard listening to the mix through my Keyboard and into my headphones. Both midi tracks are sending out of pro tools to my Keyboard on the same channel-15. My keyboard is set to receive on channel-15 and it can only receive on channels 1-16. My idea was to set each Midi track on it’s own separate channel and have the keyboard receive on the same channels. But my keyboard can only be set to receive on one channel at a time. I am not sure if it is an issue with my keyboard or pro tools?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 PM

There lies your problem.

If you pull down the volume on a MIDI track, it'll do the same to everything running on the same MIDI channel connected to that MIDI port.

Your XP-50 has two modes:
- One for solo performances (responding to a single or any MIDI channel, and only playing one instrument sound at a time)
- One for full arrangements (using different instruments assigned to different MIID channels, playing back independently-yet-simultaneously).

You need to set it up for the latter. I've forgotten Roland's terminology. Dig out the manual and suss it out. Your want to set it up to function as a "multitimbral instrument".

Back in Pro Tools, use a different MIDI Channel for each instrument (eg. 16 channels, so up to 16 different instruments playing at a time).

If there's a specific rhythm channel (eg. Ch10), then you can create multiple MIDI tracks to assist with editing, though they'll all need to be sending out on MIDI Ch10. In this instance, the volume control will affect all tracks on the same MIDI Ch. To alter individual volumes in this situation, try the adjusting the velocity levels instead (see track view).

Good luck!

(You'll probably want to be able to recall patch names from Pro Tools too, right? Another lesson for another day. )
Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 PM

I got the Midi channels to communicate in performance mode but not in patch mode. It will only let me choose patches 1-16 in the performance mode. The first patch is assigned to the first channel and the second to the 2 channel and so on until you reach 16. How can I assign different patches from 16 and above into one of the 16 channels. Possibly in the pro tools environment?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 AM

So in performance mode, different sounds respond on different MIDI channels, at the same time?

Great! That sounds like the correct set-up.

How are you assigning each sound? At the synth? Or in the Pro Tools Patch Select window?

You should be able to choose from banks of sounds containing up to 128 sounds each.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:44 PM

I am assigning each sound inside pro tools. Why do the patches sounds different in the Performance mode then in patch mode? I thought the sounds were supposed to be the same. Maybe you have extra options in performance mode?
I think we are making some headway here!

Is it possible to record with an audio track at the same time I am playing the Midi Tracks inside pro tools? I don’t know if this is possible? I am currently creating my Midi data in pro tools then recording the Midi onto my keyboard and then back into pro tolls on an audio track using the keyboard patches. I was wondering if I could somehow route it inside pro tools just once. I currently have my Midi cables in-out plugged into my M-audio 410 and also have my instrument cables from my keyboard plugged in at the same time.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Why do the patches sounds different in the Performance mode then in patch mode? I thought the sounds were supposed to be the same. Maybe you have extra options in performance mode?
Simple answer: Effects.

In single patch mode on most synths, you can typically assign a particular insert effect plus delay plus reverb.

In multi patch mode on most synths, with typically only one insert plus delay plus reverb available to all instruments, compromises have to be made. So the distortion insert effect, as used on Ch7, now becomes the phaser effect, as used on Ch3, for example.

Ideally, you want a synth that permits a different set of effects on each instrument. With 16channels/instruments, you'd need, say, 16 inserts effects, 16 delays, 16 reverbs, or 48 effects processors in total.

Most synths simply aren't that powerful, so the 3 effects are shared amongst the 16 channels/instruments.

Quote:
Is it possible to record with an audio track at the same time I am playing the Midi Tracks inside pro tools? I don’t know if this is possible?
Very possible. You can record up to 18 audio sources and countless MIDI channels simultaneously.

Quote:
I am currently creating my Midi data in pro tools then recording the Midi onto my keyboard and then back into pro tolls on an audio track using the keyboard patches. I was wondering if I could somehow route it inside pro tools just once.
Recording MIDI onto your keyboard?

What do you mean? Recording the Pro Tools MIDI sequence into your keyboards own MIDI sequencer?

What happens when you press record on Pro Tools, won't your exisiting Pro Tools' MIDI tracks play back your keyboard's sounds and thereby record them?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 PM

“What happens when you press record on Pro Tools, won't your exisiting Pro Tools' MIDI tracks play back your keyboard's sounds and thereby record them?”

Yes but I cant bounce the sounds to disk like you can with a plug-in.
It wont let me bounce any sounds at all.

How do I route my midi Sounds through an audio track so I can bounce it to disk. Pro tools wont let my bounce a midi file to disk and that is probably because their is no audio just patch date? In other words I want to bounce my patch sounds to disk as you woud a plug-in. I hope this makes sense?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:34 PM

I Just got it working now the way I wont it to.
You have been vary helpful
Thank you.