Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Default Strange behavior with PT11

I've recently upgraded to PT 11 from 10.

I've had three occasions when a session jams and all I get are the back and forth play/stop transport buttons.

I've had one occasion where, after moving several chunks of audio at one time, I couldn't get the system to play from where I placed the cursor. it wanted to go back X seconds and play from there. To get out of that I restarted, but still had the same problem. I ended up closing the session and starting one of the auto backup versions. That worked, but made me a bit nervous.

I've also had problems just quitting PT. I once saved a copy to protect myself.

Any solutions to these issues?

Thanks,

Ty Ford
Old 07-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Strange behavior with PT11

What do you mean “all you get”. Is the rest of the GUI there but not working or not redrawn at all? What exactly do you see on the screen?

Pro Tools 11 is so old and there has been so many bugs fixed. And great features added is there really a reason you cannot upgrade and be on 2019.6?

If you can upgrade to a compatible OS install (do that on a spare disk/partition) then you can test that with the Pro Tools Ultimate free trial.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:58 PM

All I get is the stop/play transport buttons winking at me and the system will not play.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 07-06-2019, 05:16 PM

Winking? Really? One or both eyes? .... C’mon Details man, *clear* details. What exactly is happening, what colors? Blinking blue?

This is not unknown, have you tried searching? Lots of past similar issues discussed on DUC.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM

Best I can do Darryl. The play/pause/stop transport lights wink several items and NOTHING HAPPENS.

On PT 10, a restart fixes this. So far not on PT11.

Those are the details.

Best Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 07-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Uh well as I asked ... color.. what colors are the buttons showing?

May help if you post a screenshot of your transport.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:23 PM

What do you mean by “winking”? Alternately blinking in a steady pattern?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Patrick, I believe you're overthinking it.

they blink alternating from one to the other then stop. As I said, this happened occasionally on PT10, usually if the program had been left up a while without any action.

Restart Pro Tools 10, all is well. Not with 11. It just does what I said above.

Ty Ford
Old 07-07-2019, 04:46 AM

Again, clear descriptions up front would help, screen shots showing all the expended transport window etc. might help as well.

Since you know what is happening more than we can follow here have you searched DUC for this?

Transport issues like this are frequently caused by finger mistakes, like having the transport set to online or machine, via accidental keyboard shortcuts. I manage to do that occasionally, frequently enough to be annoying.That one even gets a KB article:http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en321243

Otherwise if you exclude those common transport mistakes. You should dive into standard troubleshooting, trashing prefs, testing with a new empty session, removing all third party plugin files, create a new admin user and test from there etc. ... but if it was heading that way, I’d personally stop wasting time investing in Pro Tools 11 and get onto 2019.6.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Darryl,

I've been running PT since V 5. Over 15 years. The lock up problem began happening in PT10 if I left PT running and left the computer up overnight.

No Worries. A restart fixed the problem. Not so much in PT 11.

Please relieve yourself of concentrating on THIS issue.

On to the other points in my post.

I've had one occasion where, after moving several chunks of audio at one time, I couldn't get the system to play from where I placed the cursor. it wanted to go back X seconds and play from there. To get out of that I restarted, but still had the same problem. I ended up closing the session and starting one of the auto backup versions. That worked, but made me a bit nervous.

>>>I'm guessing that what i have here is a corrupted session since other sessions don't exhibit this anomaly.

I've also had problems just quitting PT. I once saved a copy to protect myself.

>>>>Again, weird behavior.

If nothing else I'd like to put these on record as problems and, has happened in the past here, find out if others are experiencing these problems and if they have found solutions.

Regards,

Ty Ford