Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-31-2013, 02:04 AM

Default Possible bug I would like to have fixed

I experienced a problem when inserting the UAD Precision Multiband plugin on my master bus during playback. I encountered a -9173 error (ran out of CPU power). Afterwards my audio was totally distorted, even after removing the plugin from the insert slot. Inserting it again with playback stopped resolved the issue.

A few minutes later I inserted the UAD Ampex tape emulation, also during playback which caused another -9173 error and distorted the output again. This time removing and reinserting the plugin did not help. Even restarting Pro Tools did not resolve the issue. After a system reboot and inserting it with playback stopped worked as expected.

I already figured out that the issue is not a UAD one, I had similar experiences with my Flux Ircam Verb v3.

I am not sure if this is maybe a Pro Tools or CoreAudio related issue.

MacPro 4,1
Quad-Core Xeon 2.66GHz
6GB RAM
UAD-2 Quad PCIe
OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools 11.1.0 native

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 1.1 audio interface

H/W buffer 256 samples

Session ran at 44.1kHz/24-bit
CPU usage about 23%
DSP usage about 23%
RAM usage about 41%
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Possible bug I would like to have fixed

There is nowhere near enough information here to even be confident there is a bug in Pro Tools let alone fix it.

You are dealing with the two absolute highest latency UAD plugins available and I suspect the Flux room reverb plugin is pretty heavy weight as well.

You really do not know this problem is not UAD related and both the UAD and Flux plugins are fairly new to AAX-64.

So does this only happen if the plugins are inserted on the fly? If so you know there is an easy work around...

And do you mean the flux plugin has similar issues but only when inserted on the fly?

Have you been able to run similar plugins and sessions on Pro Tools 10? Including inserting on the fly? What exact version of Pro Tools 10 and the plugins was that with? I normally don't insert plugs on the fly so not sure how often it might lead to problems with native or UAD plugins.

What are all the playback engine settings? (post a screen shot)

What dedicated disk drive are you audio/session files on? Make/model/spec and how is it connected to the Mac? (internal SATA? Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB2 ? etc.).

How many tracks and what other plugins and how many instances are you running in the session?

Just for kicks I would try disabling the delay compensation engine if it happens to be on. Hopefully it won't get involved if you are putting the plugs on the master track. But try it anyhow.

And along the just for kicks line, what happens if you set the hardware buffer to 1024? Yes I know it should be be needed with Pro Tools 11.

To positively exclude other plugins as being a problem you should remove all third party plugin files (including all ones you have not mentioned or never actually use in a session) from Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins. And then only put back the single plugin file you want to test with.

Don't fixate on the Systems Usage meters showing you anything too useful. They can often miss spikes that cause Pro Tools errors.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Possible bug I would like to have fixed

This only happened when I inserted these plugins on the fly and only if this led to a -9173 error. I use a dedicated sata seagate baracuda 1tb audio drive.

Currently I don't have pt10 installed.

Now I use a RME RayDat audio interface and I don't have these issues no more. I only had these problems with my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 1.1 interface.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk