Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 and Apple IOS

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to get an answer from AVID for quite sometime now about the compatibility of Pro tools 12 and Apple IOS with no luck. Since it's impossible to reach AVID directly, I'm hoping the forum may have the answers.

I purchased PT12 as an upgrade from 9 before they stopped offering full purchases. I using a 2015 Macbook pro running IOS 10.11.6, El Capitan. I have NOT upgraded the IOS because I can't get an answer from Avid as to whether or not PT12 runs on higher IOS version than 10.11.6. Of course, Apple just sends me to AVID for the answers.

Does anyone know what level IOS I can take PT 12 to and not loose the ability to access older files etc?

Thanks very much!

Chris Vallillo
Gin Ridge Music
Old 11-17-2020, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 and Apple IOS

uh iOS is what powers iPhones. macOS (previously called OS X) is what powers Macs.

I am not sure what you expect to get from contacting Avid, there is the official compatibility table and release notes of what Pro Tools is officially supported on different operating systems. That does not necessarily mean other things will not work but that is what Avid has officially tested enough to say they work. And all Avid support would reasonably do is quote that same information...

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

What issues with accessing what older files are you worried about — you mean old sound designer files? Generally “accessing older files” is not the usual concern with Pro Tools and macOS compatibility, it’s wether Pro Tools will run at all or without significant bugs/limitations.

Your license may let you run only up to Pro Tools 12.5 so be careful trying to upgrade Pro Tools.

What actual problem are you trying to solve?

Pro Tools 12.x is not only not officially supported on recent macOS releases but it just will not run OK. So if your goal is to get onto a recent macOS version you will need to purchase a subscription or a license renewal. Issues with Pro Tools 12 on different macOS releases have been discussed in many past threads on DUC you can search for (Google search works better than the forum search).

You also need to work out separately if all your third party plugins and interface drivers are compatible with whatever macOS you want to upgrade to.

As always it is safer/better to not just apply an in-situ macOS upgrade but to do a full clean install on a spare drive ir partition, install Pro Tools etc there and test it works. Eventually cloning that hack to the boot drive if it works OK. Do not use system migration assassin (assistant) to move apps or drivers off your old boot drive, install them all from scratch, you can use it to move user accounts and files.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-17-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:19 AM

OK, Thanks for the reply and forgive my lack of correct jargon. Let me re-state... I am currently running El Capitan 10.11.6 as the operating system for my 2015 Macbook pro and am using pro tools 12 to record audio. In the past, I have run into compatibility issues with PT and new operating systems, and have received confusing and frequently conflicting answers from Apple AND AVID as to whether or not I can upgrade my computer operating system and still run PT 12. I purchased PT12 before it went on the subscription basis. As a result, I have not upgraded my computer operating system. It has now reached the point where I will need to upgrade the OS in order for the computer to remain useful, but I am concerned about loosing the ability to use PT 12.

I did take a look at the compatibility list, but that info is from 2017, so before I'm jumping to a new OS, I want to confirm compatibility. It seems like AVID would be the folks to know this, but there is no way to talk with An avid tech without buying a $39.00 help session.

A new computer is in my future, but I'm waiting for Apple to drop the M-1 Chip into the 16" macbook pro before I buy. As an independent artist/producer and in the midst of the current situation, I do not have the resources to buy something that will be out of date in a few months. Thanks for any info you can share.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM

You are just repeating yourself and wasting time. The list I gave you is *the* up to date official compatibility info. Avid support staff will just refer you to or quote from that. If you want to try to work around what is officially supported there is lots of info already on DUC you can search for.

M1 or later Arm based chips... That is Big Sur or later, Pro Tools 12 is not an option on that... so why stay on Pro Tools 12 now? You might be better off on 2020.11 and being close to what you would run on future arm based Macs. When Pro Tools is actually supported on them (you seem focused on what Avid support will tell you.. so presumably you would wait for official support, which might take a long time, we have no idea). If that is all part of the plan you might be best moving up to 2020.11 now on Catalina, or maybe waiting for official Pro Tools support on Big Sur, or risking running 2020.11 now on officially unsupported Big Sur (and you find out about what other users on DUC are seeing running that by searching for existing posts).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-19-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 PM

I've personally ran PT12 (especially 12.8.1) on 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10.4, 10.10.5, and currently run it on 10.12.6 (which I currently run).

The supported OS link above is the best practice, though I had very few issues with any of those mentioned.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:04 PM

Thanks very much, Matt. That's encouraging.

Darryl, yes, it is my plan to upgrade a higher PT version when I get a new computer. It will be a fairly complex process, though because I bought the PT12 license when it was still permanent. I'm currently working with Sweetwater to get upgrades, but in the meantime, I'm involved in a livestream project that requires me to update my current computer OS and I do not want to compromise my ability to work in PT12 on audio projects, thus my interest in what level OS I can safely go to with PT12.

As for my interest in speaking w/ AVID, I've been a PT user since late '09 and in years past, I was able to speak with AVID support staff. They consistently answered questions and give me insight into issues that proved invaluable.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:42 PM

As with every update or upgrade, have a backup plan in place first. Mine would be to clone the system drive, swap the clone into the computer and update that. If it works, dandy. If it goes sour, put the old drive back in.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As with every update or upgrade, have a backup plan in place first. Mine would be to clone the system drive, swap the clone into the computer and update that. If it works, dandy. If it goes sour, put the old drive back in.
Uh please no, not with macOS, don't do in-situ upgrades.

I already covered this earlier in the thread. For major macOS upgrades it is safer, better practice, and recommended by Avid that you do clean macOS installs and not in-situ upgrades. You should always have offline backups, and don't start an upgrade without having multiple separate backups, but do any major macOS upgrade by doing a clean macOS install on a new SSD and leaving your current system untouched means you are a reboot away from getting back to your current know running system.

But if you are not already making backups, ideally including bootable system drive backups/clones with something like carbon copy cloner then that is the very first place to start.

---

To the OP: if there is no hard specific bug/problem you are trying to solve and you just want to be on a more recent macOS for general app compatibility etc. There is a lot to catch up with in new MacOS releases, and if the goal is to get to Arm systems then personally I'd either just wait on the OS you are on now and move straight to Arm, or live dangerously (like I am) and upgrade now to Big Sur and test carefully and maybe stay there if it works. Or wait a while until Big Sur is officially supported. I would not waste time doing multiple unnecessary macOS upgrades, again they should not seen as quick in-situ upgrades, they should be treated as a major thing to do... which I appreciate you are treating them as by asking here. But with you current production needs I'd honestly just stay where you are... and not upgrade anything, if you want to experiment and learn more and test recent stuff then I'd personally set up a second boot disk and play on that with say Pro Tools 2020.11 on Mojave or Big Sur. If you want advice on doing that just ask.

Also pay attention to details of the changes that have happened more recently, like loss of 32-bit applications support in recent macOS releases... if you are relying on old 32-bit apps/utilities then you won't want to upgrade to more recent releases, and won't be able to run those existing apps on an Arm based system. But an easy way of checking everything out a new clean test/learning install on a second boot drive.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-20-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
Hi Folks,

I have been trying to get an answer from AVID for quite sometime now about the compatibility of Pro tools 12 and Apple IOS with no luck. Since it's impossible to reach AVID directly, I'm hoping the forum may have the answers.

I purchased PT12 as an upgrade from 9 before they stopped offering full purchases. I using a 2015 Macbook pro running IOS 10.11.6, El Capitan. I have NOT upgraded the IOS because I can't get an answer from Avid as to whether or not PT12 runs on higher IOS version than 10.11.6. Of course, Apple just sends me to AVID for the answers.

Does anyone know what level IOS I can take PT 12 to and not loose the ability to access older files etc?

Thanks very much!

Chris Vallillo
Gin Ridge Music
For what it's worth, late 2013 MBP here running PT11 on Mojave seems just fine minus importing audio is drag and drop (can't use regular import menu). I haven't noticed any other issue. Not saying it's perfect, just saying it "works" for me at least.