Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 10:27 AM

Default What are you using for computer monitors?

We have had a pretty bad track record with the Apple translucent CRT models, we had 1 graphite and 2 blue and white fail.
All 3 developed the flickering screen that eventually acts like lightning.
I have read in some other forums of others having the exact same symptoms and path of regression so my question is what monitor have you gotten good reliabilty from?
Do you also view video on those monitors?
How many hours a day, days a week are these monitors on?
Any of you using the same monitors shared buy multiple computers?
We always have a minimum of 3 screens up, more often it's 4, and they generally do 20 or 24 hour days.
Thanks for yor suggestions
Old 07-27-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: What are you using for computer monitors?

I;ve got a pair of black NEC 17 inch LCD screens that look great and have never failed me once.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:33 PM

What type of day do you usually put them through?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:33 PM

We had one generic 15" that worked fine for a long time. Now we have 2 19" LSI's (I believe), they look a lot better and have a 3 year warranty.. Not bad for $120 a piece [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Nice and big and easy to see from a few feet away..

eric
Old 07-27-2003, 06:16 PM

I have a studio disply 15"LCD for almost 3 years now... works almost everyday 8hrs a day w/ no problems...
Old 07-28-2003, 09:32 PM

I'm using two 17" CRT monitors which run about 8 hours per day. One is a Mitsubishi Diamond View 1772 and the other is a Compaq MV700. Both are around 3 years old and no problems to date.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:17 PM

I forgot to mention that if you go with CRT's go with matching monitors and flat tubes.. Matching monitors just look better and easier on the eyes.. Flat tubes are just a better all around design, and with LCD monitors out now, the price of CRT's are dropping quickly..

eric
Old 07-28-2003, 10:22 PM

i have the Apple cinema 20", and it's great for handling the mix window and 1-2 plugins. I've thought about running another 20", but I need to win the lottery first...
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 07-28-2003, 10:38 PM

Although my monitors are unmatched models (they are calibrated though) and not flat designs, I do agree with audioeric.
Also, avoid refresh rates lower than 85Hz. I can't watch a 60Hz monitor for longer than a few minutes.
One of the advantages with LCD monitors is they don't suffer from flicker so refresh rate isn't an issue with them. They don't suffer from convergence (red, green and blue alignment) or geometry problems either, are cheaper to run and emit much less interference. They can suffer from smearing (trails on moving, contrasting objects), reduced off axis visibility and lower contrast ratio than CRT monitors. They are generally not as good for working with or viewing video but can be better as computer monitors.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:55 PM

Ahhh.. Also good points Doc.. Refresh rates.. When I got to the studio, the other engineer was saying that he didn't like using a DAW because he couldn't look at a screen for that long.. He doesn't use a computer other than the at the studio.. So, he just didn't do it.. Well, the refresh was at 60 Hz.. That hurt my eyes too.. The 2 19's are now at 100 Hz and work quite well.. A good test is to look at the monitor out of the corner of your eye.. Basically, turn your head until the monitor is at the very end of your peripheral vision and if you see flickering, then set the refresh rate higher.. When looking right on a monitor, its sometimes hard to tell if its too low.. Or you could just look and set it at the highest rate.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I believe either way would work..

eric