Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: iLok License Surrender Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurixio View Post
I followed the procedure recommended ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...98#post2049598 ) but I did not get positive results with iLok.

... in step 4 does not appear any iLok

1 Unplug all iLoks from your computer. (ok)
2 Launch iLok License Manager. (ok)
3 Plug in ONE iLok. (ok)
4 Double-click the plugged in iLok in the left-hand location column to open the Details Pane. ( does not appear any iLok)
5 Click the "Sync/Repair" link, and wait until the process completes. Again, be patient and let it do its job. The progress bar may flicker and at some points it may look like nothing is happening but you need to wait for the confirmation that the process is finished. This may take some time, especially for a first generation iLok.
6 Verify that all expected licenses are now seen on your iLok, or in some cases, a license may be in your account instead of on the iLok. All expired licenses will be moved to your account

I still have productions with PT11 blocked ...
Posting the following the help other users, and to let tech support know that this one has been resolved. Maurixio emailed me that he was able to install his Pro Tools 11 license on his iLok:
Quote:
So....I tried the procedure on another pc and....
it seems that everything works.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Thank you Bruce ... it's true .... I solved my problem with iLock, following the recommended procedure, on another computer!
SCHEDA VIDEO: Nvidia GT 630
SCHEDA AUDIO: Mbox PRO
HD: 1 SSD da 120 Gb sata III - 1 HD da 1 Tb sata III
SW: Pro Tools 11, Sony Vegas PRO 11
MONITOR AUDIO: Presonus Eric E5
Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 AM

i was trying to activate all my licenses on my ilok which is pro tolls 9-10-and 11 at the same time because i wasn't sure if it would expire and I'm a new comer to music recording working on engineering and recording myself and other artists. so i have been using pro tools 9 and now that i activated 11 its saying that i surrendered my license to pro tools 9 and 10??? this is not what i wanted i am completely devastated as of right now because now i cannot open my pro tools 9 at all....what do i do how can i activate my pro tools 9 again to continue using it??.

now i sent this to ilok and they replied with i have to contact avid...i have been using PT 11 now because of issue above and everything was fine for a few days and now i am getting this dreadful "unable to locate hardware" message and i can no longer use PT 11???? i am completely dissatisfied with all the issues i've been having ever since i first installed PT 9... i am a engineer and a recording artist and i have clients also this is completely unacceptable i pay 2000 dollars for equipment i cannot even use or i'm going to have problems with every other day???!!!!!!

i also tried the sync n repair option on ilok and nothing has changed still cannot activate any of my licenses.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzy View Post
i was trying to activate all my licenses on my ilok which is pro tolls 9-10-and 11 at the same time because i wasn't sure if it would expire and I'm a new comer to music recording working on engineering and recording myself and other artists. so i have been using pro tools 9 and now that i activated 11 its saying that i surrendered my license to pro tools 9 and 10??? this is not what i wanted i am completely devastated as of right now because now i cannot open my pro tools 9 at all....what do i do how can i activate my pro tools 9 again to continue using it??.

now i sent this to ilok and they replied with i have to contact avid...i have been using PT 11 now because of issue above and everything was fine for a few days and now i am getting this dreadful "unable to locate hardware" message and i can no longer use PT 11???? i am completely dissatisfied with all the issues i've been having ever since i first installed PT 9... i am a engineer and a recording artist and i have clients also this is completely unacceptable i pay 2000 dollars for equipment i cannot even use or i'm going to have problems with every other day???!!!!!!

i also tried the sync n repair option on ilok and nothing has changed still cannot activate any of my licenses.
When you bought the Pro Tools 9 boxed version in April, 2013, you automatically received a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10, replacing your Pro Tools 9 license. When Pro Tools 11 was released, you automatically received a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11, which replaced your Pro Tools 10 license with a bundled license that includes both Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 10.

You only own the one license, but it is the current Pro Tools 11 bundled license for both Pro Tools 11 and 10.

That license shows up as installed on your iLok account.

See this Sticky: How to Activate and Download Pro Tools 11 for information on downloading Pro Tools 11 and 10 from your Avid account.

If you are having problems with Pro Tools 10 or 11 recognizing your license, you should probably download and install the latest version of the iLok License Manager.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks Bruce for getting my new PT 11 opened up. This was a real head scratcher!

Charlie Glasgow
Omaha, NE
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Glasgow View Post
Thanks Bruce for getting my new PT 11 opened up. This was a real head scratcher!

Charlie Glasgow
Omaha, NE
This was the same problem a couple of other users in this thread had that also registered on August 28th, a temporary glitch in the registration server that deposited an incorrect license to your iLok account. Avid Customer Support took care of your license today.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
When you bought the Pro Tools 9 boxed version in April, 2013, you automatically received a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10, replacing your Pro Tools 9 license. When Pro Tools 11 was released, you automatically received a free upgrade to Pro Tools 11, which replaced your Pro Tools 10 license with a bundled license that includes both Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 10.

You only own the one license, but it is the current Pro Tools 11 bundled license for both Pro Tools 11 and 10.

That license shows up as installed on your iLok account.

See this Sticky: How to Activate and Download Pro Tools 11 for information on downloading Pro Tools 11 and 10 from your Avid account.

If you are having problems with Pro Tools 10 or 11 recognizing your license, you should probably download and install the latest version of the iLok License Manager.
well i think that is unfair that i had to surrender my license to 9 because that is the one i paid for, which i should always be able to keep the license to the one i paid for, and i have things recorded on their that need to be mastered and put on CD...i never asked for pt 11 and I'm upset that you guys just assume you can scam people like that....i paid for what i wanted if i couldn't keep my other license i would have never got pt 11 also would have been nice if i was informed so basically your telling me my money was wasted on a program i cannot even use??? that's completely unacceptable from such a highly recommended company.

I've had issues ever since day one of buying this program. Also i do have pro tools 11 installed it was working fine for 2 days and now i cant use it at all because i get "unable to locate hardware" in which it does not tell me what hardware. this is so frustrating that such a popular company puts its customers thru this. I am very dissatisfied that i spend all this money on pro tools and i cannot record at all i have had nothing but problems ever since April 2013.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
well i think that is unfair that i had to surrender my license to 9 because that is the one i paid for, which i should always be able to keep the license to the one i paid for, and i have things recorded on their that need to be mastered and put on CD...i never asked for pt 11 and I'm upset that you guys just assume you can scam people like that....i paid for what i wanted if i couldn't keep my other license i would have never got pt 11 also would have been nice if i was informed so basically your telling me my money was wasted on a program i cannot even use??? that's completely unacceptable from such a highly recommended company.

I've had issues ever since day one of buying this program. Also i do have pro tools 11 installed it was working fine for 2 days and now i cant use it at all because i get "unable to locate hardware" in which it does not tell me what hardware. this is so frustrating that such a popular company puts its customers thru this. I am very dissatisfied that i spend all this money on pro tools and i cannot record at all i have had nothing but problems ever since April 2013.
You have a full Pro Tools 10 license included with Pro Tools 11, which gives you great backwards compatibility with sessions, plugins etc. Have you tried using that? There is no way I would argue to stay on Pro Tools 9 if given a choice to use Pro Tools 10.

If you are having problems create a new thread on DUC and include all the usual information, system and interface, etc. details, after reading the "help us help you--read this before posting" link above on this page. Many Pro Tools problems are caused by improper installs/configurations, especially make sure you have fully optimized your system for Pro Tools, instructions are under that link. If you are using Windows post a Sandra report. Do not reply in this thread, start a new one, or if you already have link to it here.

You should have had some free ASCs with your purchase, did you use those to call Avid support?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:

I researched your support case history, and from what I can tell you were having problems because your are on Windows 8. Pro Tools 9 is not/was not supported on Windows 8, and it was suggested by Tech Support that you try installing Pro Tools 10 in May, even thought Pro Tools 10 was also not supported on Windows 8. They told you that even if you were able to get Pro Tools 9 to work on Windows 8 that it was not a compatible system, and would eventually cause issues.

Those support cases were from April and May. The Pro Tools 11 release in June was the first to support Windows 8, and you have a "bundled" license on your iLok for Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools 10. If you are still using Windows 8, you should try doing a complete uninstall of Pro Tools, and install the latest version of Pro Tools 11.0.1 from your Avid account downloads. Get that going first (start a new thread as Darryl suggested if you need some help from other forum users).

Lots of knowledgeable people here that will be glad to help if you work with them. Including even some Avid support folks that are trying to help, not scam you.

Once you get Pro Tools 11 working on your system, then you may or may not want to install the latest version of Pro Tools 10 (also in your Avid account) if you need to use any RTAS plug-ins that do not have AAX versions for Pro Tools 11.

But to reiterate, if you are on Windows 8, you are not going to want to use or install Pro Tools 9. Pro Tools 11 will open Pro Tools 9 sessions, or allow you to import session data from those sessions so you can proceed.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 AM

I'm having the same surrender problems, except my iLok license manager wants me to surrender licenses that I was never given. The license manager wants me to surrender Pro tools 9 licensing for Pro tools 9+10 bundle, but I was only ever given the licensing for Pro Tools express akai professional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 5.43.06 AM.jpg (61.4 KB, 0 views)