Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: Faders 9-16 move randomly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyonrecords View Post
Thanks so much for responding DIGI!!! Two questions:
1. If it is indeed a ground issue, is that something that would have been looked into at the authorized repair center?
2. Is it something I may be able to fix myself or does it need to go back to CEV in Montreal?
I think the problem is likely with the AC at your facility, most likely.

Have you had it tested for a solid ground connection and wiring? The reason I think it's the case is that, if they tested it at the ARC and couldn't repro it's because they DID have a good AC ground. No amount of fussing on their end would have reproduced anything if that was the case - the console itself is probably fine.

What I would do if I were you is have a qualified electrician test your AC. I'm betting they turn something up. Most AC grounds begin to deteriorate after about 8-10 years, slowly increasing the resistance to ground, which would cause electronic gear that relies on the ground for reference to start behaving erratically.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks again. I really hope you are right about it not being the board, that would be great news. I will have my AC tested. One more thing to note is that this board was experiencing the same thing at my other facility, where I've had no problems with other gear, would you say Control 24 is particularly sensitive to grounding issues?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Hello
i would like to add to this- mine is doing this as well, except faders 1-8... let me be specific - when i am in a session and i bank, it starts doing the fader dance (shown in the youtube video, posted earlier in this thread) but if i hit utilities and go to test faders, then wave, they reset and act normal-> back to the song, and back to crazy behavior --- if i dont open up protools and run the test, they all work perfectly(all the tests)- - if i open up protools, bank, it does not stop even after i close pro tools- i have to power down or play with it a bit touching faders -- its also random, i have noticed that its worse after writing automation (maybe)- thats probably why the repair center a few posts ago didn't find a problem with his console ... its done this for at least the last 6 months, at my last studio and my new studio with freshly wired AC power outlets - any ideas .....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

I was out of town for the last three days. GREAT to see responses. Thanks digi. I powered up this morning and the problem hasn't happened yet. About 5 hours so far. As soon as it does I'll try the ground test. As far as the AC, I have a separate ground for my studio installed by an electrician about 10 years ago, so I should probably have it checked. Thanks to all.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Problem's back. Perhaps this is a clue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cZPbUzB6g
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Well i guess its just you and me on this crap,,, ok i had some thoughts

1.is there a battery inside the c24 that might have died for memory
2.could there be something to reseat (not reset i tried)
3.could it be our computers, or protools
4.could it be the ethernet
5.i feel that banking triggers it 100%
6.why does the wave reset yours and mine the exact same way

I CANT BELIEVE THAT WE ARE THE ONLY(3) PEOPLE IN THE WORLD THAT HAS THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH NO FIX!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM

I'm guessing that an ethernet problem would affect any or all of the three banks, not just one. When I powered down and then powered back up the problem remained. However, after leaving the unit off for about 40 minutes the problem was gone when I powered up. After 2 hours still no problem till I went into test mode. Then I had to power down for 30-40 min.

Temperature problem? It is housed in an Argosy desk with ample ventilation. Could a bad fader motor control board be overly temperature sensitive?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM

i thought it could be a temp. problem aswell and found that it does it with the air con. on or heater at extremes or at a comfortable setting ... have you tried reseating anything ? i have done the power reseat for the led's ... they were flashing and diming ... all i had to do was reseat the power connection on the inside and its worked for years...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
i thought it could be a temp. problem aswell and found that it does it with the air con. on or heater at extremes or at a comfortable setting ... have you tried reseating anything ? i have done the power reseat for the led's ... they were flashing and diming ... all i had to do was reseat the power connection on the inside and its worked for years...
Yes, I did the power supply reseat (a once-a-year ritual) which does fix the flashing LEDs indefinitely, but didn't do anything for this current problem. I can work for 2-4 hours at a time before it starts again.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I haven't been able to find a cause for this, but it certainly seems to be triggered when opening or closing a session, it never seems to happen midway through a session. For me the problem is typically on the last 8 faders, but it's recently moved to the first 8. Are you guys consistently having a problem with the same set of faders? I find that persistence on my part is key. I will refuse to shut down the session and just keep touching the problematic faders while playing the session and they will eventually start working normally. Shutting down a session when the Control 24 dictates it so, is not cool with me, so I basically force it to behave (hopefully this won't cause any further issues). Also wanted to learn from you guys if it happens all the time for you? I was able to work a few days ago between multiple sessions for about 10hrs with no incidence and then yesterday it started about 2 hrs into my work when opening the second session of the day. Maybe if we all put our brains together on this we can solve it once and for all. Any more insight from DIGI on this would as always be super appreciated and very cool!!!