Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified"

I seriously would not be recording to a low-end NAS box, even with disk cache.

Put a fast local SSD on your computers (ideally a PCIe/NVMe drive... maybe the boot drive, maybe you already have one) and work with the session there.

Low-end NAS boxes can be great places to drag and drop or otherwise copy sessions to after finished working on them. There are just too many moving parts here vs fast local storage.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 AM

I appreciate that advice -- a local SSD is always better -- but this has worked perfectly for 7 years and I'd like to find a way to restore functionality to my current setup. It may be a recent NAS firmware update that is to blame...still looking into it.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 PM

I've been going back and forth with Synology Support. (Meanwhile, still not one single response from Avid...). Synology has been very responsive and helpful, but has not been able to find the cause of the problem. Here is their last response, which sums up their findings. Maybe this will spark an idea with you, or with someone else who comes across this post.

--
From Synology:
Since /MASTER/RECORDING/ProTools/_SONGS/songname_v2/pgzrCSQMvgzfCBBB is not a directory and Windows hidden file/folders are visible to Linux-like files systems such as the DSM OS. There is no way for the BTRFS file system or the DSM update to remove an entire directory on its own. My assumption is that the actual path of the file should've been /MASTER/RECORDING/ProTools/_SONGS/songname_v2/songname_v2.ptx/pgzrCSQMvgzfCBBB/ggvsCSQMrmzfCBBB, hence why the file is not found as ProTools has the wrong path.

Windows is fully compatible with AFP so it may not be something that the DSM had created. Also, I don't believe "ggvsCSQMrmzfCBBB:AFP_AfpInfo" is the file name, as the colon ":" is an illegal character in file names. Most likely, "AFP_AfpInfo" is a property/value in the file "ggvsCSQMrmzfCBBB" that is required for a network connection from ProTools. The interesting part with this theory is the host system such as Windows is supposed to be the one that establishes an SMB/AFP connection to the server. This makes me wonder if ProTools is doing its own mapping, which means there could be network connection/mapping related settings in the ProTools that require a reset.

Hate to say this but we are out of ideas at this point. I would suggest contacting ProTools support, at least to get their correct file structure so we can compare it against the directories you have on the NAS. Besides, even if the DSM is at fault here, you will still want to contact ProTools support since they are the only ones who can help you rebuild or repair the ProTools database.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:10 PM

More from Synology...
---
Some file types have internal structures/directories that can only be read by a specific program. For example, some of the *.dat files can be opened with a ZIP program; *.exe files could be opened with a RAR program; Apple's *.app files are straight up a regular folder with ".app" in the end.

My assumption is that the correct path the ProTools should've used is "/MASTER/RECORDING/ProTools/_SONGS/songname_v2/echoes_v2.ptx/pgzrCSQMvgzfCBBB/ggvsCSQMrmzfCBBB" Since "/MASTER/RECORDING/ProTools/_SONGS/songname_v2/songname_v2/pgzrCSQMvgzfCBBB/ggvsCSQMrmzfCBBB" doesn't even exist.

If my assumption is correct, then the ProTools directory path needs to be updated in the ProTools software. If it is caused by missing ../songname_v2 folder, then ProTools are the only ones that know what that directory should look like.
---
It's been more than two weeks, without a single reply from Avid...anyone have an idea that could help?
Old 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
It's been more than two weeks, without a single reply from Avid...anyone have an idea that could help?
You can try posting your Avid support incident number here, that can sometimes help get stuff escalated. But I'd not hold my breath.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:48 PM

It's case# 03955209. Thanks for the suggestion.

Too bad a reply sounds unlikely. Two weeks without a single reply--that's about as bad as it gets. If I can't solve this soon, my loyalty to the platform will begin to fade quickly. Plenty of good alternatives these days...
Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 AM

I was unable to solve that problem on my own.....so I had to change my workflow and work from internal SATA drives from now on. Sad!

Best, mcfid.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:21 AM

I haven't found a solution, either, and changing my workflow is going to be a major inconvenience -- but I don't know what else to do. I can't believe I haven't had a single response from Avid in almost three weeks. Really bad customer support. Makes me regret upgrading for sure.

Thanks for checking back in. If I come across any new info, I'll post it here.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:54 AM

I've made a factory reset on my Synology DS214se, did a clean install WITHOUT ANY SUCESS!!!!

The funny thing is, that my DS213+ AND my RS217 work without any problem (in my other Studio) on a HP620 workstation.

What Synology Drive are you working with?
Best Stefan.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:24 AM

I'm using a DS212+. Still not working. And still no reply from Avid...