Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Guitar Tracks

Hello all. I am currently recording an artist that has a Matchbox 20 sound...and thus would also like to get Matchbox 20 Electric guitar sound. He plays a Gibson and a tele...through a Vintage reissue of a marshall head and amp...I foget which so don't ask for the time being!

My problem...I'm at a loss for getting a good "Matchbox 20" sound...any and all ideals would be greatly appreciated...Mics, mic placement (his cab has 4 12" 15 watt speakers), EQ's...anything.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Guitar Tracks

I would stick one 57 on a 4 x 12 cab and use an old Marshall or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with the gain down a bit. Try a Neve Preamp. While they are harder and heavier tones, you can hear what this sounds like on my song RUN at www.blacklinerock.com.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the input Blackline! Things turned out pretty good
Old 12-15-2003, 06:55 PM

I'll tell ya how to do it...even though you already tracked the song. Use a fender or tele and run that through a Marshall or Mesa. I have both, but I like to use the marshall for clean/light distorted sustaining notes/chrods. Now here's the trick. Don't go to the clean channel. Go to the crunch channel. Now when you strike individual strings you'll get that clean/light distortion sound that sustains. It will still sound clean however. Oh ya, and I use a sm 57 as well.