Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2019, 12:18 AM

Default Collaborative Cloud Issues - uploads fail

This is for the latest 2019.6.0 for standard version. Is anyone hitting major issues with cloud saves? I just lost hours of work even though I left the project open overnight to "upload" the files (which were just a couple of changes to a short track). The upload hung, and all else went to hell in a handbasket. I lost most of it. I did have a backup from the night before, but this is frustrating as it happens often. Does anyone know if there are issues with the cloud/collaborative backup if you're running something like Carbonite (or other cloud backup on your machine)?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Collaborative Cloud Issues - uploads fail

Pro Tools Cloud Projects are not at all what I'd trust for backups. Very bad idea. All you have done is create a single unbacked up repository of your work on what is clearly demonstrated as awfully unreliable storage (Avid Cloud). Now you need to work out how to back up what you are using for a back up. Makes no sense.

You want real cloud backups/archives of sessions work on local sessions. When you are finished drag and drop that session onto a cloud file storage volume. Or even better maybe zip or tar up that session into a bundle and drop on to cloud storage, and with a unique date in the name. And don't just rely on the cloud (they *do* lose data, and users especially screw up and lose data in the cloud), get multiple archives on local NAS servers, or portable HDD, DVD-RW, etc. and get some offsite, etc.

Pick your own cloud storage: Goggle Drive, Drop Box etc. I would manually manage this session data is so important, do it by hand--when you finish a chunk of work on a session, and know stuff went across.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Pick your own cloud storage:
Find the oxymoron.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 AM

Yes, it's a terribly touchy, finicky, unreliable medium. Frustrating to use. But I doubt that you lost anything if you were the recordist. If you're on Mac,
  1. Open the project
  2. Right-click the title bar of the Pro Tools session where it says "Edit: [session filename]" or "Mix: [session filename]"
  3. Select the blue PT symbol with the random looking name that ends in .ptproject
  4. Navigate to the Audio Files folder
  5. Copy everything out of there to someplace safe

If you're on Windows, you'll have to do some digging to figure out where projects are stored and navigate to it manually. My advice, everyone the session is shared with should always back up the Audio Files folder immediately after each use. The cloud will fail you repeatedly.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Find the oxymoron.
What’s wrong with this picture? You disable Avid’s cloud stuff that does not work reliably and use a “non-cloud” approach on any one of other clouds that actually do work reliably. :-(
Old 09-24-2019, 09:11 AM

BTW for geeky tech folks, I’ve been running a non-Audio related project where I needed to copy a few hundred Mb of data to a cloud drive a few times per day. I used Google drive and the gdrive command line utility (https://github.com/gdrive-org/gdrive) to automate all that from a script on a Mac. It is stupidly simple, but has been rock solid for several months. May be time to do something similar with a script to bundle/compress/rename sessions and drop onto Google drive.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM

And by the way, Avid Cloud seems to be non-functional at present. No one at our facility is able to share any tracks with anyone today.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
And by the way, Avid Cloud seems to be non-functional at present. No one at our facility is able to share any tracks with anyone today.
Be careful, there are a bunch of issues going on, a bad day or so for Avid. Who knows if stuff is related or not.

But I would be careful not to to reboot any of those machines (esp. any Mac Pro) and don't trash prefs. See:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2539037&postcount=6

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2538976&postcount=14
Old 09-25-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What’s wrong with this picture? You disable Avid’s cloud stuff that does not work reliably and use a “non-cloud” approach on any one of other clouds that actually do work reliably. :-(
"your own cloud storage" is an oxymoron. it's your data on someone else's computer.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 AM

I kind of doubt that they're related at this point. The problem has been narrowed down to Google screwing things up for people who have SIP disabled. Today, Avid Cloud appears to be non-functional.