Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Default Problems with input/output setup (using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Second Generation plugged into a MacBook Pro using a Mojave OS.

I'm using Protools First 2018.

I have my electric guitar plugged into my Scarlett 2i2 interface into the first input jack.

I cannot record and do playback without closing my Protools project and reopening it.

I have my Scarlett 2i2 chosen in my Playback Engine, with the record tab chosen. I can record this way, but I cannot hear playback, nor can I hear the metronome.

In order to hear playback, I have to switch to Built-In Output in the Playback Engine. When I do this I can hear the track I recorded, as well as the metronome. The record track tab is still selected. When I try to record with this set up, I get an alert "1 audio track could not be record-enabled because it doesn't have both an input and an output assigned."

As for hardware, I have sound output and alerts/sound effects assigned to Built-in Output (which I am running through headphones) and I have sound input synched to my Scarlett 2i2 USB. I also have Built-in Mic, Pro Tools Aggregate I/O and Aggregate Device options, but no specific functions assigned to these.

So I'm not sure why I cannot record or get playback without shutting the project down and reopening it. And I also cannot hear the metronome to play along with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Problems with input/output setup (using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)

Hi have you tried with PT aggregate instead the Focusrite driver ? Please check on mac midi audio settings that Focusrite is added on PT aggregate first . And it is the last Scarlett driver installed ?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Problems with input/output setup (using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2)

Hi jeam25,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I tried it with the PT aggregate and I was able to playback (with the metronome) but I couldn't record (I'd just get the same "1 audio track could not be record-enabled because it doesn't have both an input and an output assigned" alert as before).

How do I check to see if I have the last Scarlett driver installed? Where can I find it?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by theunibrow; 06-05-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: a word