Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Question PT8 Tutorial Videos

What can people recommend?

To be honest, I find all of these products a little too pricy. The upside (I hope) is that the material gets straight to the point (no fluff) and is really valuable stuff (???)

So...

1. The Groove 3 stuff? Kenny's cool, so I may like these from the get go

2. The macProVideo stuff? I really like Scott Freiman's voice, pace and teaching style. So this is a plus. (I get distracted by lip smacks and pops etc.)

So, what's good DUC?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Default Re: PT8 Tutorial Videos

Well, if you don't mind reading, there are some really great books out there, at least for PT7. I'm not so sure about PT8, though. Video tutorials are great, but I find that working out of a book is much simpler since you can move at your own pace, write it in, leave bookmarks, and it's a bit easier to navigate chapters. Just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM

I haven't seen Kenny's PT8 video, but I bought the others and they're good. For tips and tricks, Stiff's are good as well.. (with the "funky-cool hippy groove" Funny stuff).

I've heard the MultiPlatinum ones are good but I've not seen them.

One thing to remember.... While you are watching for picking up whatever it is they are talking about, look at what else is going on as well.. How they set their workflow up, the order in which they do things, etc... Look for all of the subconscious goings-on that are not being actively talked about.. Those things help as much as anything.

And finally, set down and make mistakes. Start doing things on your own to see what works for you.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!

Last edited by danander11; 08-09-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Stig drives for Top Gear! LOL
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderrocker View Post
Well, if you don't mind reading, there are some really great books out there, at least for PT7. I'm not so sure about PT8, though. Video tutorials are great, but I find that working out of a book is much simpler since you can move at your own pace, write it in, leave bookmarks, and it's a bit easier to navigate chapters. Just my two cents.
Thanks fenderrocker. I get what you're saying, but I'm not a book guy unfortunately, but thanks all the same

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
What can people recommend?

To be honest, I find all of these products a little too pricy.
You can pay for one months viewing online with groove3 which is about as much as you would need anyway. I watched all the Kenny Gioia vids and can't recommend them enough. Make notes as you go and then you won't need to watch beyond a month anyway.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

kenny is the man hands down ..has even helped me privately through emil..great guy ..never says no to starngers always willing to help peeps ...logic 9 does look very nice ..experimiting with it now ..some nice features...thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
One thing to remember.... While you are watching for picking up whatever it is they are talking about, look at what else is going on as well.. How they set their workflow up, the order in which they do things, etc... Look for all of the subconscious goings-on that are not being actively talked about.. Those things help as much as anything.
Is there a value in viewing other peoples setups? Are people really interested in seeing other peoples sessions/templates? Or is it just me

Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
Is there a value in viewing other peoples setups? Are people really interested in seeing other peoples sessions/templates? Or is it just me
I would say yes to this. Watching how others work gives you hints on how you can streamline your own processes.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Kenny's vids ROCK