Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-11-2000, 10:53 AM

Default New HUI user-want to know tips & tricks

I just bought my HUI and want to know where I can find info on all the tips and tricks. I found out how to select region while scrubbing but is there another way. How would you use the smart tool with the HUI?
Some plugins work funny i.e. the knobs work for switches and vise versa. Weird. Thank you
Old 12-11-2000, 09:04 PM

Default Re: New HUI user-want to know tips & tricks

come on people. Digidesign has no written paperwork on exactly how they programed it. Mackie says that it's up to Digi and Digi says it's not their product. Nothing in the web?
I can guess that there are some of you out there that are fluent on the HUI.
How do you change or add shortcuts?
Thank You
Old 12-12-2000, 07:20 AM

Hello zealous,
The cool thing about the Mackie (which I have used for almost 2 years now) is that you can use it almost anyway you want. I have been making an effort to get away from still using the mouse. Except for page scrolling you can do that. I like the Mackie because it will adapt to the way you work. You do have to find a few of the features that are burried but they are pretty deep.
I actually found out more about the effects controls by talking to McDSP about the filter Bank EQ and then applied it to all the other plug-ins. I have to admit as I have learned the Pro-Tools system using the Mackie to its fullest has been at the bottom of my list. But now that I feel comfortable with the system as a whole, I will explore what the best ways to control the system are with the mackie.

No unfortunately there is no written data that will tell you everything you need to know on how to use it. That would be unfortunate though because why limit yourself to how someone else may use it and think that is all there is. It is a pretty deep controller. My favorite function when I am tracking (by the way this is a use that is not listed clearly anywhere) I use the Flip switch while tracking to use the faders to control the headphone mixes. You can switch quickly between sends and have all the volume controls at your finger tips. The only thing I wish I could do is copy the Sends fader settings to the main for playback listening. Oh well Maybe later.

So Play with the thing and dig deep. It is a fun little tool.
Mark Johnson
Brass Sail Recording www.brasssail.com
Old 12-12-2000, 11:28 AM
Avid

Ok a few tips here:
Grouping is great. above the faders are select buttons. Push as many as you want to group all at once then find the status group section push the create button name the group and hit the enter key. Done! No more shift clicking. Also in the status group section is the susspend button. It susspends all created groups. Very helpful.
Old 12-13-2000, 12:03 AM

I've heard that the HUI should be on it's on midi interface. Right now I do that, but I'm wondering if I will see improved responsiveness if I upgrade to the new MOTU or Emagic USB interfaces which have the improved MIDI timing... opposed to the serial based Opcode 64XTC that I currently use for the HUI.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2000, 06:56 AM

I've got a Unitor8mkII interface for midi and just hooked up a little MidiSport 2x2 for the HUI alone. (both USB)

I had problems with the Unitor recognizing the HUI as an instrument in Logic and messing with it. (trying to use Logic as a sequencer and PTmix+ for all audio)

The Unitor's timing (AMT) is only utilized by Logic I believe. It won't help my HUI out in any way I can see, so I got the HUI it's own connection.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:45 AM

In the pro tools folder I found the Midi control surface user guide and it has alot of info on what the HUI can do. I spent the last couple of days figureing out what this HUI can do and I must say that Pro Tools with the HUI (or procontrol), their is not much else out there that can touch this mixer with the heat sensitive faders abd the modularity of it all. I've been working with Pro Tools since the release of 4.0. I'm more happy than I thought I'd be with the purchase of my HUI. It has actually helped expand my knowledge in alot of areas that were unknown or certain things made easier.
The only thing that I'm confused about is how some plugins read different than others. More than likeley it is the plugin developers mess up.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:52 AM

Yup-- there are some developers, notably Waves, who don't care about plugin maps for these controllers. It's a real shame, because HUI and ProControl make ProTools all that much more powerful, yet I have to reach for the mouse to use certain plugs. Sad.
Old 12-14-2000, 02:49 PM

is there a way to change these plugin maps legally without rewriting the software?