Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Default Pro Tools 2018 crosstalk

System: MacBook Pro (2017)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Pro Tools 2018.7.0
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP

I've just started experiencing problems with crosstalk between tracks, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues and found a fix for it.

I'm currently tracking a single guitar, DI into input 1 of the Saffire. The track has a single plugin (Fortin Nameless suite).

I have a standard Pro Tools click track. Once I've recorded the guitar, the click is faintly audible in the audio recorded.

I also tried it with a stereo instrument track with Superior Drummer 3 inserted, and re-recorded the guitar track, and on playback with the SD3 track muted or made inactive, the drums are still faintly audible in the guitar track.

I've never come across this problem before and it's doing my head in. Does anyone have a solution?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018 crosstalk

How exactly are you listening to the click/drum track when tracking?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekithump View Post
System: MacBook Pro (2017)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Pro Tools 2018.7.0
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP

I've just started experiencing problems with crosstalk between tracks, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues and found a fix for it.

I'm currently tracking a single guitar, DI into input 1 of the Saffire. The track has a single plugin (Fortin Nameless suite).

I have a standard Pro Tools click track. Once I've recorded the guitar, the click is faintly audible in the audio recorded.

I also tried it with a stereo instrument track with Superior Drummer 3 inserted, and re-recorded the guitar track, and on playback with the SD3 track muted or made inactive, the drums are still faintly audible in the guitar track.

I've never come across this problem before and it's doing my head in. Does anyone have a solution?
The only thing that comes to mind and makes sense would be the guitar pickups picking up the sound from headphones or the eletromagnetic field from the headphones speakers, or monitors for that matter. Troubleshoot by muting and unmuting the headphones while recording. That's weird....

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 AM

Do you have a mixer application for your audio device where you are able to route the PT output back into Pro Tools?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 10-17-2018, 04:13 AM

Thanks for your responses. In answer to the questions:

Both the click and the guitar track are routing to the main monitor 1/2 outputs, as normal. I'm listening through headphones.

With regard to magnetic crosstalk on the cabling, the monitor/hedphone cables don't run near the guitar cable, but I'll try your muting suggestion and see what happens.

I didn't have time to check the Focusrite mix control yesterday, but I'll have a look at it to see if it's doing anything odd.

I've been recording with the same equipment setup for the last couple of years without having had this problem before. The only major change recently has been the upgrade to PT2018 from 2012 - I do hope it's not a new Avid 'undocumented feature'. :/

One thing I'll try too is bouncing the drums down to audio, rather than running them as a live MIDI instrument, to see if that makes any difference.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM

So I finally got to the bottom of it, and it was something to do with the Saffire Mix Control. Quite how it was doing what it was doing I don't know, but I reset the thing back to factory defaults, and hey presto I can now record again without the damn click being recorded too.

Thanks clausiii for pointing m in the right direction.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Good to hear you solved the mistery

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee