Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2000, 01:36 PM

Default Anyway to get 2 mono effects to sync on master?

i'm wondering if there's a way to get (let's say) a compressor on left channel linked to right channel controlled by either 1 and going to the main out (left and right)in pt free. The only way i found so far is using RTAS or whatever its called but thats not real time.

TIA.
Old 11-10-2000, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Anyway to get 2 mono effects to sync on master?

Hi joey1243,

RTAS plug-ins are Real-Time AudioSuite plug-ins.

AudioSuite plug-ins (aka AS plug-ins) are the non-realtime, file-based versions of the plug-ins.

It sounds like you want to use a stereo compressor so that the left and right channels are "linked" together. Here's how you can do it.

If you'd like to compress a stereo pair from tracks 1 and 2 (each track is mono, but they form a stereo pair), change the output of each track from the default "out-L, out-R" to "bus 1 - bus 2." Next create a new stereo aux track (use the File/New Track menu and use the popdown list), and set the inputs to be "bus 1 - bus 2." Now put a stereo compressor on the stereo aux bus, and you'll have stereo compression on your tracks.

In an upcoming version of PT (ver 5.1), you'll have an easier way to do this -- there will be multi-channel audio tracks instead of just mono audio tracks. So, you'll be able to create a stereo audio track and record directly to that track. Then, you'll be able to put the stereo compressor directly on the stereo audio track and skip the aux bus stuff.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign

[This message has been edited by Kenn LeGault (edited November 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kenn LeGault (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old 11-10-2000, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Anyway to get 2 mono effects to sync on master?

wow that was quick ! thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to know. ya i got the file based effects confused i'm new at this! (1st day)