Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 03:21 PM

Default OMS Names -> PT6 MIDI Names converter?

Does there exist a converter to take OMS Names libraries and turn them into PT6/OSX-compatible .midinam files? While I understand that the .midinam files are XML files, it would take days to manually convert all my OMS Names Libraries into XML documents for PT6/Apple MIDI manager.

Yes, I know that Digi ships a limited number of patch name documents. And yes I know this is supposed to be "Apple's Issue now" (according to the Digi rep), but I need a tool to move thousands of patch names over (especially from expansion cards, etc.)

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks,

David
PT 11 HD 11.3.1
Sonnet Echo Express III-R
Pro Tools HDX
2 External 7200 RPM eSATA drives in Thunderbolt OWC Enclosure
Old 03-04-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: OMS Names -> PT6 MIDI Names converter?

I'm in the same boat, David, as I suspect a few other must be. I would be using my PT 6 already if it wasn't for this issue. I've been searching far and wide on the web to find some kind of converter. I'll post here if I get anywhere. Someone's bound to come out with one soon.

In the meantime, I've been e-mailing all the manufacturers of the various midi gear I've got (Access, Kurzweil, Roland, etc) to see if they can create them.

Digi Performer used to offer to create free midi patch lists for instruments that were not yet done, and although I no longer use DP, they may be a little more helpful than Digi on this.

Food for thought...

Joel
Old 03-04-2003, 06:36 PM

i am working on the patch names for the roland xv5080. i am almost done. did test it with pt6 and it works. will post when done
Old 03-04-2003, 10:26 PM

Hi Usinare, are you typing it in manually?

J
Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 AM

I tried typing in the patch list for the Yamaha S90/Motif and kept getting parsing errors. Very frustrating. I took one of the existing patch lists and began modifying it for the S90, but I just gave up. The URL at the top of the XML files points to some guy's vanity site and the link now appears to be inactive. It's a pain to try to reverse-engineer these XML files. Is this documented anywhere?

According to an emagic rep, Logic 6 (Platinum only) will have a MIDI butler which finds you synth and has a huge database to pull from. Evidently Apple (via emagic) feels this is the type of thing you should pay a premium for.

I hope Digi rectifies this problem.

Busch.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:12 AM

i am not typing this manually. i looked for the electronic files from the manufacturers website of my synth modules. usually they are either text files or pdf files. then i copy and paste into text edit one at a time. its easy but time consuming. i have been doing one bank a day so i dont get frustrated and stressed out. this is not good for digi.