Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Problem converting PT12 EDU license to regular license

Avid CS have now confirmed that the originally supplied info was wrong, and my friend DOES NOT have to buy a reinstatement plan at $299 to convert his EDU plan into a standard plan. He just has to buy an upgrade plan renewal at $99.

However, it is not currently possible to buy that plan from within his Avid account, as currently that would only allow an EDU renewal and he is no longer a student.

So, he must buy the renewal from Sweetwater or another authorised reseller. Then, he must advise Avid of the activation code for the renewal plan, via his support case. Avid CS will then apply the activation code manually.

This should convert the plan to a standard plan, so that in future years he can renew from within his Avid account.

He has just bought a renewal from Sweetwater, and has now passed on the activation code to Avid CS.

I'll post a further update once the process is successfully completed.

Both my friend and I are most grateful to Jeffro for his help in this matter.

I have to say, though, that it's pretty astonishing that an Avid CS Rep told him he'd have to spend $299, when he actually only has to spend $99. Hopefully, no other ex students have fallen into this trap, and hopefully future ex students will come across this thread and so be aware of the process,

Ultimately, I hope, Avid will update what's available in people's Avid accounts, so ex students can simply purchase a standard renewal from within their account.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Hi guys.

I'll start by firstly saying a huge thanks to Jeffro for his help on this matter, the case has now been fully resolved. Secondly Nigel, as always, a huge thanks for getting the ball rolling!

To any students who find themselves in a similar situation regarding EDU licensing hiccups, I hope this summary of the process and outcome will benefit you.

My "Pro Tools | Software with 12-Month Upgrade and Support Plan - Student/Teacher" licence was set for it's annual renewal. Avid's natural progression when clicking "renew support" makes the owner demonstrate proof of EDU status prior to being able to purchase the annual upgrades. No longer being a student makes it impossible to progress down this route.

I therefore purchased a standard $99 annual upgrade plan (without support) from a 3rd party seller with the expectation of converting my EDU, annual upgrade and support licence, into a full licence without support. When the licence code wasn't working and I opened a support case to be informed I would require a reinstatement package at $299. I knew this to be false and secured a refund from Sweetwater, who were extremely helpful.

I was later informed by Avid that they were wrong and students with an EDU Perpetual licence can convert using a regular annual upgrade/support plan if EDU status had expired.

The resolution to the matter was as follows,

I repurchased the identical plan and sent the licence code (with proof of purchase) directly to Avid. They then sent me an activation code with a web link to a place in which I could apply the licence code. This deposited a brand new licence into my iLok account, which firstly, needs to be activated and secondly, the old licence (if still active) surrendered. It then shows in "My products" that I have a new product. "Annual Upgrade Plan for Pro Tools (Reinstatement)" All is now well. Big thanks to all involved.

I suggest to any students crossing over from an EDU licence to a regular annual licence, to contact Avid to understand whether this work around is needed and secondly, to understand which licence you require before making any purchase.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2017, 02:45 PM

And,once again, you have my thanks Jeffro ;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)