Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: I had AGAIN a Kernel Panic! ...

Quote:
Bad or damaged RAM is very elusive, it often doesn't show up immediately as a problem, often taking months to rear it's head, which is what makes it so hard to diagnose. Plus the symptoms aren't regular, but any hard-to-explain behaviour can often be attributed to bad RAM. So, when you get to a point where your computer is doing very wierd things that can't be reproduced regularly, it's time to start pulling out RAM chips and see if the computer behaves better. Start with the 3rd party RAM that was installed by your 'tech' - not sure if you bought your computer at an actual Apple Store, but if not, the RAM that most other Apple retailers use (especially the mail order places) is pretty cruddy, so yank it out and see if you have better luck. It's very very easy to do, the manual that came with your computer has instructions on how to do it, just be sure not to touch the gold connection pins along the bottom of the module. You can identify the original RAM by the Apple logo/sticker on it, so leave that in but pull anything else.
Well so I think I'll try it asap: pulling out RAM chips and see what's the deal.
I took my Mac from this guy, he's working on a "Computer Shop - Exclusive Mac Dealer" and he put RAM chips on it.
Two hours ago he told me I have 4 chips: 1 up-chip + 1 down-chip and 2 up-chip + 2 down-chip. I mean two couple of RAM chips and he suggested me to unplug two chips of same RAM (i.e. both number 1 or both number 2).
As you can see it's pretty a mess for me, but I'll try open it up and see if there are Apple RAM chips, so that I'll unplug the others.
What about the "ventilation system" (don't know if it's called like that)? Hope it isn't that hard to remove these chips...I'm a lil skeptic.

myspace.com/korneliuskeyloid
Old 01-05-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: I had AGAIN a Kernel Panic! ...

I'm sorry for that BUT I'm still talking with a friend of mine about that and I'm having some doubts: IF IT'S A PROB CAUSED BY "DAMAGED" RAM CHIPS, WHY KPs ONLY APPEAR WHILE LAUNCHING PRO TOOLS? NOTHING WEIRD WITH OTHER PROGRAMS OR OTHER DEVICES, WHY? It sounds not so logic to me.
Btw I thank you so much for the time you're spending on this thread, it's really helpful to me.

myspace.com/korneliuskeyloid