Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 AM

Default Random MIDI Notes that last 2-3 measures just appear out of nowhere.

Yep, when I record MIDI notes manually, I am getting totally random MIDI notes that just show up out of nowhere that are 2-3 measures long. They always appear in addition to an actual note, and align themselves to the same start time.

I have to go through and manually delete them. Because that's what $10,000 worth of Pro Tools delivers.

There's no excuse for this. Not after all the lecturing I had to hear about the price hikes and the thousands of dollars I spent upgrading this chunk of unreliable garbage.

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD
Old 01-30-2014, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Random MIDI Notes that last 2-3 measures just appear out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinBaldMonkey View Post
Yep, when I record MIDI notes manually, I am getting totally random MIDI notes that just show up out of nowhere that are 2-3 measures long. They always appear in addition to an actual note, and align themselves to the same start time.

I have to go through and manually delete them. Because that's what $10,000 worth of Pro Tools delivers.

There's no excuse for this. Not after all the lecturing I had to hear about the price hikes and the thousands of dollars I spent upgrading this chunk of unreliable garbage.
It would help to know more about your setup, especially MIDI devices. Haven't experienced this problem myself. Is it happening in both PT 10 & 11?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Random MIDI Notes that last 2-3 measures just appear out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinBaldMonkey View Post

How are you recording the MIDI notes - via keyboard or manual entry via the MIDI editor? If from keyboard (assuming you're keyboard isn't hosed) it might be MIDI echo. Do you have more than one MIDI device? Exactly how is your MIDI routing set up?

QAPLA!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:10 PM

I am playing the parts in with my hands. I don't program, I play an instrument.

I use a Yamaha S-80 which is connected from MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of a Digidesign MIDI IO. There is no other connection between this keyboard and the DAW. There is no MIDI cable connected to its Input. This is the setup, the MIDI only flows one way:

Yamaha S80 ===> Digidesign MIDI IO ===> Virtual Instruments and External Sound modules.

In addition, if I program (draw in by hand) a steady stream of identical 8th or 16th notes into a track and play it back, I can HEAR the rhythm faltering. I can hear that it isn't accurate. What the ****** hell? I thought we'd gotten over sucking at MIDI in 2006. Its only 30 year old technology that should have been ****** sorted out by now.

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD
Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Odd for sure and I've never had that here, but my midi setup is not the same. If you have another midi keyboard, I would try that. Other things to check; the driver for the midi interface, local settings on the keyboard, is Midi Thru checked/enabled in Pro Tools? If you are not using the sounds from the Yamaha, try disconnecting the midi cable that goes TO the yamaha(although I have midi connections in both directions on my Motif es8) Also, is the instrument track set to receive only from the Yamaha, or is it at the default to receive on ALL midi sources(I created Instrument track presets with the incoming midi source set to a specific controller for certain things. IOW, my minigrand instrument track only receives midi from the Motif, while my organ track(DB-33) will only receive midi from a different keyboard(with unweighted keys).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave