Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: FXPantion\'s VST to RTAS or VST to Rewire

OK you just lost me on that one..... are you saying that the VST to Rewire is better to have? I always bounce each insterment(kick,snare,bass,lead,ect.) to it's own audio track to tweek and perfect each one . are you saying if i had a VST drum machine that i could or could not do that w/ the VST to RTAS wrapper? please clarify becouse that is a very important thing to know. also does anyone know, when using one of these wrappers can you use more than 1 of the same VST at the same time? like can i use 3 trilogy synths at the same time on diffrent tracks?
P.S. thanks for all the feedback on this subject.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:15 AM

Hi!
The VST-RTAS wrapper does NOT give you any "extra" channels out of a VSTi. RTAS is an insert effect, and as such, islimited the number of channels for that track, unless mono->stereo.

ReWire allows up to 64 channels of audio to be streamed. Pro Tools DigiReWire allows up to 64 channels of audio to be routed in. So, with the VST-ReWire adapter, a VSTi with multiple outputs would be able to be routed to multiple tracks in Pro Tools.

Number of instances of a VST or VSTi is up to the developer of said VST/VSTi. If the VST version of say, Trilogy, allows more than one instance, then the wrapped version would be the same. With the VST-ReWire adapter, same thing. As an example: I own Kontakt, and prefer the VST version wrapped inthe VST-RTAS wrapper currently. The RTAS version of Kontakt (and most RTAS instruments) suffer from a greater latency than the wrapped VST versions. Since RTAS is limited ot the number of channels of the track inserted on, I often use multiple instances of Kontakt, irregardless of whether using the RTAS or wrapped VST version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:49 AM

Dang my head is still spinning a little. let me see if i understand. with the rewire wrapper, lets say hypotheticly speaking (becouse i have a novation supernova II and know this piece of hardware) novation made a softsynth version of the supernova. it has the ability of 8 audio outputs(1 for each channel) with the rewire wrapper you could take advantage of this and route each one to its owne audio channle in PT? and with the vst to rtas you couldn't? what about the latency problem you spoke about. the rewire wrapper has less latency then the rtas one? i've been using PT for 4 years so i'm not a beginner, however i am a beginner to the world of softsynths especialy in PT. thanks with your patients and all your input on this matter, i'm learning alot from all you vets of the VST realm....
Old 01-19-2004, 10:13 AM

Default getting rid of the VSTs again...?

sorry if this is straying off a bit or if its been covered but how do i get rid of vsts out of the protools plug in list. after i installed the wrapper i dumped all my vsts into the wrappers vstplugins folder but half of them dont work. i took them all out again and ran the configuration thing but there all still there in the list in PT even though the vst plugins folder is empty. the big list is very messy especially since only some work so i'd like to just put in the ones that work.

thanks.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: getting rid of the VSTs again...?

To get rid of the removed VST plugins.

- Delete the out the vstplugins folder in the fxpansian folder
- Run the VST-to-RTAS-Configure program.
- Choose "Remove converted plugins"
- choose "Detect and convert VST-plugins

Good luck!

Bastiaan
Old 01-19-2004, 11:33 AM

Hi!
Yes- as you said- If there were a Supernova VSTi, using the VST-ReWire adapter, you would be bale to assign the 8 outputs from the SN (SUperNova) VSTi to 8 outputs from the ReWire adapter. In Pro Tools, I would create 8 mono Aux tracks, and insert the DigiReWire plug on each one. Then on each of those tracks, I would open the DigRewire GUI and select the appropriate Output being provided by the VST-ReWire adapter that I had assigned to the SUperNova VSTi.

Think of a track (Audio, aux, master) in Pro Tools in a hardware mixer sense; if it is a stereo track, you cant insert an effect with 8 outputs and have all 8 get routed. The only thing different between an insert with a hardware mixer and the Pro Tools mixer is that in Pro Tools, a mono track can have a mono-to-stereo plugin inserted.

As far as latency: An example: Kontakt as an RTAS plugin has about 350 samples of latency for me. Most of the RTAS softsynths/samplers I have tried have a similar amount of latency with the native RTAS versions of them. When I used the VST-RTAS wrapper with the VSTi versions fo these same synths/samplers, I found the latency to be around 2-12 samples. While not extremely significant, I found it to be enough to warrant using the wrapped versions (if possible) over the RTAS versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
As far as latency: An example: Kontakt as an RTAS plugin has about 350 samples of latency for me. Most of the RTAS softsynths/samplers I have tried have a similar amount of latency with the native RTAS versions of them. When I used the VST-RTAS wrapper with the VSTi versions fo these same synths/samplers, I found the latency to be around 2-12 samples. While not extremely significant, I found it to be enough to warrant using the wrapped versions (if possible) over the RTAS versions.
wow. that's a huge difference.
with DXi's there's the same issue: the wrapped VSTi works better than the DXi... what gives?? why is VST as a format so much better/more stable than the RTAS and DX formats??