Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Is there a Time Stretch - Slicer - randomiser Plugin (AXX or other formats)

Hi everyone, I checked some posts but i didn't find what I am looking for.

Today I am recording guitar arpeggios and unfortunately my guitar skills seem to have gone on vacations.. I work on pro tools 12 (mac os) and so instead of slicing and time stretching, moving manually each chord.. I would love to find a plugin that would automatically easily calculate/analyse the audio on a track, slice it, move it and time stretch it to fit the grid and tempo. I know it sounds lame but who knows, since almost everything is manageable nowadays, I would be curious to know if such a tool exists as a plugin.

My guitar sound and playing are not that bad but the latency when I record and my lack of practice on the tempo make it a pain to beat match everything quickly on the grid.

Ableton Live does a great job to import audio and stretch it automatically.. I am looking for something that goes in that direction but I don't know anything that does it in AXX or even in VST, AU?

Any suggestion? I saw a few posts about loopers like "Egoist" from Sugar Bites (I don't find the interface friendly) and I am really looking for something easy to use that would give different options of slicing, time stretch.. kind of what an Octatrack (Elektron) would do. And, why not, something that would also give different options of randomisation of the different audio parts selected.

MachFive from Motu or MPC seem interesting samplerS too, but that is not exactly what i am looking for either, or maybe i don't know them well enough.

To explain myself a little better, I would like to record a guitar part with peaks in the audio waveform that would be easily recognisable by a plugin so that this plugin could edit automatically the waveform and could give different options of slicing and time stretching.

For example, my guitar recording is close to be on tempo but still it is slightly off.. and I would like that plugin to locate the different chords or arpeggios so that it can slice every peak to give me options of placement.. and also from there I could easily pick and edit the slices i like to clean my guitar part and beat match it perfectly.

I guess it's asking too much but who knows..

Thank you
Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Is there a Time Stretch - Slicer - randomiser Plugin (AXX or other formats)

iZotope Stutter Edit seems like the thing. Haven't tried it, though.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Is there a Time Stretch - Slicer - randomiser Plugin (AXX or other formats)

first thought would be beat detective for the corrective side, or Elastic audio - try the different modes and you know you can quantise (with groove if needed) elastic events?

all plugs that chop are subject to the usual transient near misses especially live played instruments.

I use machine for slicing, or another great under the radar plugin is Vice by new sonic arts, au or vst , host in blue cat or similar. can create a midi region of the transients so you can edit.

egoist goes into sound design territory which can be interesting.

you might be better off rewiring ableton into pro tools and having a folder on the browser open showing your audio files in PT, drag and drop into a clip and tweak away, monitor through protools , then export or record etc quick workflow
Old 02-08-2018, 03:09 AM

Thank you Stig, the Isotope plugin seems very cool. It gets close to what I am looking for but I am not sure it can slice and give the option of slice editing. Also it seems more of a tool that is use to add FX.

I am looking for something that would somehow auto quantise an audio file ( beat match, placement on the grid...) using the peaks in the audio waveform as markers
Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
first thought would be beat detective for the corrective side, or Elastic audio - try the different modes and you know you can quantise (with groove if needed) elastic events?

all plugs that chop are subject to the usual transient near misses especially live played instruments.

I use machine for slicing, or another great under the radar plugin is Vice by new sonic arts, au or vst , host in blue cat or similar. can create a midi region of the transients so you can edit.

egoist goes into sound design territory which can be interesting.

you might be better off rewiring ableton into pro tools and having a folder on the browser open showing your audio files in PT, drag and drop into a clip and tweak away, monitor through protools , then export or record etc quick workflow

Thank you very much John, all that sounds very interesting and definitely the direction I want to take. I am going to research based on your advices
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 AM

... if I understand what you're trying to do, you're looking for this to sound like a well-played/tight guitar part and not slicing-up for effect or that MPC aesthetic ... in which case Beat Detective/Elastic Audio, I suspect :)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:15 AM

Thank you all for your help :) i am going to study the beat detective and the elastic audio.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:32 AM

I just tried to work with elastic audio and it's a very cool tool. It is exactly the tool I was looking for and I am glad to see that Pro Tools has it. It doesn't sound quite right with my guitar sound (clean fender), I can hear all the stretches but I will definitely use it to adjust vocals or other instruments.
Thanks again for your help
Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 AM

There are different algorithms for TCE/elastic audio in the drop down. Try the different ones on your guitar to see which sounds best.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM

I think the time it would take to edit less-than-accurate playing in a convincing, transparent way would be better spent on practicing till it's tight. And I believe there are ways to reduce buffer/latency for recording while avoiding overloads, like temporarily disabling plugins or unnecessary tracks.