Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Default Blue Cat Protector 2.2 update

Looks like I beat the Blue Cat guys to the punch - Protector which is there limiter plugin has an update to 2.2. Major gui change to look like their other plugins, lots of functional changes. And in honor of this they're having what they call 'dynamics month' where they have some steep discounts on their dynamics plugins: Dynamics 4, MB-5 Dynamix and the Energy Pack bundle.

They also mention if you own any of those plugins you get a better discount than if you don't and that details are coming in an email. As a service (and I don't think they'll mind my saying this) if you do own some of their other dynamics plugins click on the link for said plugin that you would to download your licensed version from. When you get to that page which for this example would be for Dynamics 4 you'll see links for the other dynamics plugins and the price you'll see will be cheaper. For me if I were to get MB5 it comes out $10 cheaper. Some of you may have gotten emails from Don't Crack in which they mention their compression month - their prices at least for the Blue Cat stuff is higher.

While I'm on a Blue Cat kick if you have say Axiom go to the download page where you d/l your licensed version and you should see crossgrade prices for Late Replies, Destructor, Patchworks and Re-Guitar. If I wanted I could get standalone Late Replies for $39.

All prices are in US dollars and I don't know how long these deals last. I'm looking at MB5.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Blue Cat Protector 2.2 update

I think the ability to sidechain one band from any other band within the same plugin makes MB5 unique, I've never seen any other compressor do that.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I think the ability to sidechain one band from any other band within the same plugin makes MB5 unique, I've never seen any other compressor do that.
Indeed. Just grabbed it at $89.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Indeed. Just grabbed it at $89.
Great buy indeed, enough options to get lost in the forest and Cristal clear sound (something I'm enjoying a lot lately, I suppose that's normal as one progresses, a year ago I was all distortion). Congrats!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Great buy indeed, enough options to get lost in the forest and Cristal clear sound (something I'm enjoying a lot lately, I suppose that's normal as one progresses, a year ago I was all distortion). Congrats!
There a a number of things I like the Blue Cat sound on and like you say it's crystal clear. The options it has don't seem to exist anywheres else like having a continuous control to go peak & rms; what it doesn't seem to have that's on the single band Dynamics 4 is the control to vary between vca & opto. I haven't spent any time with MB5 yet as yesterday we were under a tornado watch for most of the day so I had other things to worry about than music (we made it through okay as far as I can tell).

I've mentioned this before but the BC Dynamics 4 single band compressor lives on my 2-bus. What I like is something that surprisingly is missing from Fabfilter's Pro C2 and that's the ability manipulate the transfer curve with expansion, etc. You do get that in Pro MB though.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:40 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Thanks for mentioning the update! Glad that you like our plug-ins! The cross-band side chain feature is actually extremely useful - not sure why no-one has ever done it before!

We are indeed slowly adding crossgrade purchase links from the download pages so that you can easily purchase other plug-ins with better prices when you already own one, even when there is no promotion/intro offer running. The current crazy prices are valid only during the dynamics month, but you will still get good offers after it's finished - we try to reward existing customers for they loyalty!

Here is the official announcement with all details about the update and promotions:
Quote:
We are happy to unleash Blue Cat's Protector 2.2, a new version of our brickwall limiter plug-in and launch "Dynamics Month" promotions on our recently updated dynamics processors.

With a brand new user interface (fully zoomable), lookahead support, new factory presets and many other new features and enhancements (full change list below), this new version offers a streamlined limiting experience and greatly improves the result of brickwall limiting on the master buss. It can now also be used on any individual track, supporting both stereo and mono signals.

Upgrade to the new version is free for existing customers and can be downloaded from the link received by email upon purchase. A special introduction price (20% off the plug-in) is available until May 25th.

At this occasion, we have launched a special promotion (up to 33% off) on all our recently updated dynamics processors during the "Dynamics Month": the Protector limiter, the all-in-one Dynamics plug-in, the multiband MB-5 Dynamix plug-in and the Energy Pack bundle. Existing customers should receive extra discounts by email. Demo versions of all plug-ins are available for download on www.bluecataudio.com, in most popular plug-in formats for Mac and PC.

New in Blue Cat's Protector 2.2:
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support.
- The GUI can now be zoomed from 70% to 200%.
- Lock the GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- New lookahead function to reduce distortion when used as a loudness booster.
- Mono tracks support: the plug-in now also works in mono.
- Lock GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- Last loaded preset is now remembered in session and displayed in the presets menu.
- Plug-in state can now be reverted to the last loaded preset.
- Now supports retina displays on Mac (text and graphs using high resolution).
- Mac: new installer.
- Mac: fixed minor compatibility issues with Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave.
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- Dropped support for Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
- Dropped support for legacy RTAS and DirectX plug-ins formats.
- Fully compatible with previous versions of the plug-in (except for VST3 on Mac, as explained here: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/ti...hanges-on-mac/).

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7 or newer.
- PC running Windows Vista or newer.

Pricing:
- Protector: 79 EUR/USD instead of 99 (20% off) until May 25th.
- Dynamics: 99 EUR/USD instead of 129 (23% off) until May 25th.
- MB-5 Dynamix: 99 EUR/USD instead of 149 (33% off) until May 25th.
- Energy Pack: 299 EUR/USD instead of 399 (25% off) until May 25th.

[b]Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmGrpOfmtgo

Enjoy