Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-27-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Need Help with PT 12 and HD Native Thunderbolt

So I got kind of thrown into this at the studio I am working out of.

Owner upgraded computer to a new Mac Pro (trashcan) and bought PT12 HD along with the PT Native HD Thunderbolt unit

His prior setup was with PT 8 HD, 3 HD pcie cards, 1 SYNC clock, and 3 192 A/D-D/A converters (old blue and silver)

What I am trying to do is hook up the old converters and SYNC clock to this thunderbolt. The old 192's use the bigger DigiLink connector and the HD Native Thunderbolt uses the mini DigiLink connector. He purchased a female DigiLink to male mini DigiLink cable as well.

I installed PT12 HD (works fine) but the HD Native Thunderbolt isnt even getting a light on the LED indicator. Stuff I've read says its supposed to be red, green, or purple depending on what its indicating but I cannot get a light to come on at all.

How I have it hooked up is the HD Native Thunderbolt is connected to the Mac via the provided thunderbolt cable, two of the 192's are connected to each other through the "expansion" port and the primary is going to the adapter (female DigiLink to male mini DigiLink) and then to the HD Native Thunderbolt and the third converter is going into the 2nd port on the HD Native Thunderbolt with the same adapter. The SYNC unit is connected to the Native HD Thunderbolt through the 5 pin cable that was being used prior (previously connected to the HD pcie card). And the SYNC unit is also looped to all 3 192's.

Inside PT12 HD I have no option for additional playback devices either only the internal aggregate one.

I would appreciate any help on this as I am new to HD setups. All my experience prior is with non HD setups and I'm not convinced these older 192's or SYNC unit will work with this new setup. But I would love it if it could be.

If anyone needs pictures or further explanation please let me know
Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Need Help with PT 12 and HD Native Thunderbolt

some info: hope some of this helps and maybe new to look at ..

1) DigiLink Mini Ports
HD Native Thunderbolt includes two DigiLink Mini ports for connecting to Avid HD audio inter- faces. Each port provides up to 32 channels of audio input and output.

2) HD Native Thunderbolt supports up to 4 Avid HD audio interfaces for up to 64 simultaneous chan- nels of audio input and output.

3) page 12 here shows the signal flow of the Digilink and Loop Sync cables

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_77570.pdf

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Need Help with PT 12 and HD Native Thunderbolt

What playback engine do you have selected? What are all the options showing in the playback engine pull down?

In Pro Tools HD 12.6 or later you need a DigiLink license asset on a connected iLok for DigiLink interfaces to work. Is that on an attached iLok?

If you suspect an interface box is not working then unplug as many other interface boxes and the sync box and then with the simplest possible hardware setup run the DigiTest utility... what does that report? Always try reseating and swapping DigiLink cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What playback engine do you have selected? What are all the options showing in the playback engine pull down?

In Pro Tools HD 12.6 or later you need a DigiLink license asset on a connected iLok for DigiLink interfaces to work. Is that on an attached iLok?

If you suspect an interface box is not working then unplug as many other interface boxes and the sync box and then with the simplest possible hardware setup run the DigiTest utility... what does that report? Always try reseating and swapping DigiLink cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the reply. So I went home that day after not figuring it out came back the next day and had done NOTHING different and it all works lol

However I do have an issue now where my SYNC I/O is not showing up as a word clock option. I have all of the cables hooked up correctly but the only options it shows are my two 192's....

will attach picture showing options
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53627617168__1E39827B-FAF3-401C-BB31-A494A03F9A74-2.JPG (29.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM

In addition I ran the DigiTest for SYNC HD and it fails every time saying that it cannot find the device in the HD Native Thunderbolt..
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvly5t View Post
In addition I ran the DigiTest for SYNC HD and it fails every time saying that it cannot find the device in the HD Native Thunderbolt..
power up sequence maybe ???

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-29-2017, 05:34 PM

What external source are you needing to clock from that you need a Synch HD box? If you don't need it ignore it.

Is the Sync HD known to work anywhere?

Is the Sync HD connected to the HDN Thunderbolt box? Try a different sycn connect cable. Connected correctly in loop order (as first and last)? is it configured as the Clock Source?

Start by Testing with one DigiLink interface and the Sync HD.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:18 PM

Indeed^^^ If you don't NEED the Sync IO, just remove it. I'm with Darryl on starting simple and for me, that would be a single 192, directly to a MiniDigilink on the HDT box. Once that setup is configured and working, add a second 192(off the Expansion port of the first 192). With Loop Sync cables connecting the 2 IO boxes, get that hardware all working before incorporating the 3rd 192. BTW, if the 192 boxes are all of the same "standard" configuration(8 analog IO + 8 Digital IO), you have some options, depending on how many IO you need, and what you have for preamps. What I'm getting at is; if you only have 16 or 24 preamps, you could get by with only 1 or 2 192's in the setup(you could take the analog cards out of the 3rd unit and expand the other 2)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Hey guys thank you so much for the replies.

Yes the SYNC works. The old setup used all this same hardware excluding the HD Native TB. It was an old hackantosh with the 192's and the sync but going into hdx cards. We upgraded to a new trashcan mac and the cards were no longer an option which is why we got the HD N TB unit to connect the 192's to. And the old setup doesnt have any issues. So I dont think its the bnc cables or the digi connector that the SYNC uses (cant remember the name) are compromised.

I dont know that I NEED the clock but I have encountered multiple performance issues that I am unsure the cause of. Signal flow wise everything works now (excluding the SYNC) but I get CPU overload errors that I am unsure the root cause of.

In theory this new Mac out-performs the older one in every way. 8x the amount of RAM, new and better processor, nvme ssd, and using PT12HD being a 64bit option being able to utilize the RAM. The unstability reminds me of when I was using PT on my old laptop and it could barely even handle PT.

If I work currently at any playback higher than 1024 I get CPU overloads and PT is very laggy visually with moderate to large sessions at any playback speed. Some of this may be the initial optimization is off but I am also experiencing these stability issues using the same hardware with FL12 so I think its a combo of hardware and software that needs to be optimized.

I can link full specs if needed but its a brand new trashcan Mac Pro with 32GB Ram with a 500GB Nvme SSD. I wouldnt think I should be getting these issues even without an external clock.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:39 PM

I'm just wondering what ever came of this. I have recently been wrestling with getting an HDX system online. We are changing it up and deciding to go HD Native instead of the HDX.

Are you sure that you were using an HD Sync? and not the Sync I/O? You mentioned it was PT8 with all the old blue and silver 192 hardware. So that would have been a Sync I/O right? Not an HD Sync.

I'm just hoping to get clarification because I'm about to buy an HD Native system and I know that the old blue Sync I/O won't work with PT12.